Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Can I carry? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/can-i-carry-40223/)

06ranger 03-24-2011 08:50 AM

Can I carry?

I was looking at state laws for sc, and I didnt see anywhere that states I cannot carry my rifle in the truck on a rack, however it does state the gun must be in a case, and locked, could any of you guys give me any insight as to whether or not I can carry it in a gun rack, mind you the gun rack will either be an overhead model or one behind the seat, so it wont be easily seen by thiefs or cops...

winds-of-change 03-24-2011 08:52 AM

Different states have different laws. I know the laws here in Illinois. You'd be wise to call the police department or state Department of Justice and find out exactly what the laws are for you.

06ranger 03-24-2011 09:46 AM

YEah I figured that but I was trying to see if anyone here from sc had knowledge on the matter, but thanks anyway

DrumJunkie 03-24-2011 10:29 AM

Surely we have someone that lives there....There's like 20 bajillion people here. That's a few more than several.:D

If you looked up the law and it says it has to be in a locked case then I would imagine a gun rack would not qualify. Unless you are trying to say the cab of your truck is the case and the doors lock it.:confused:

I looked around the SC Law Enforcement Division and found info about handguns, [sawed off] rifles, shot guns and machine guns. But not a "standard rifle" It is pretty late and I've been up a good while so you might want to see if you can find something there. [Link]

If you do find a definitive answer please let us know. One never nkows when that knowledge might come in handy ;)

06ranger 03-25-2011 07:09 AM

Well I went up to the local gun range today and was talking to their gunsmith, and h es said that sc was no longer allowed to carry a rifle in a gun rack, loaded or unloaded, stupid legislation... He did inform me that the rifle had to be in a lockable case that was to the farthest rear of the driver, which means I would have to figure out a way to keep the case from shifting around n damaging the gun

DrumJunkie 03-25-2011 08:09 AM

They make cases for vehicles that can be mounted. Though I'm not too keen on the practicality of something like this.

hnealg 03-27-2011 11:57 PM

To quote from Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States by J. Scott Kappas, Esq. --"Loaded rifles and shotguns may be carried in a vehicle by anyone unless such carry occurs in a state park, recreational area or wildlife area during hunting season." Then they need to be unloaded and cased. Also the usual public buildings, universities, etc. are off-limits.

Because laws concerning firearms change frequently, especially of late, check with the local authorities and/or the laws (from the web) before you risk it. (Just saying...)

06ranger 03-30-2011 10:31 AM

Well thanks for the info hnealg, I will still check local authorities just to be safe.

hnealg 03-31-2011 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 06ranger (Post 475686)
Well thanks for the info hnealg, I will still check local authorities just to be safe.

Always a good idea!

Gun laws tend to change with every session of your state legislature. One of the best, up-to-date websites for that information is Handgunlaw.us It concentrates on concealed carry but the guys who run the site are really quite good at keeping track of changes.

But the best source is, of course, the state government.

pioneer461 03-31-2011 08:09 PM

gunlaws.com - State by State Firearms Laws