Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Can any lower be a 'pistol'?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Here is an excerpt from BATFE's decision and a link to the website.

"Therefore, so long as a parts kit or collection of parts is not used to make a firearm regulated under the NFA (e.g., a short-barreled rifle or "any other weapon" as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(e)), no NFA firearm is made when the same parts are assembled or re- assembled in a configuration not regulated under the NFA (e.g., a pistol, or a rifle with a barrel of 16 inches or more in length). Merely assembling and disassembling such a rifle does not result in the making of a new weapon; rather, it is the same rifle in a knockdown condition (i.e., complete as to all component parts). Likewise, because it is the same weapon when reconfigured as a pistol, no "weapon made from a rifle" subject to the NFA has been made.
Nonetheless, if a handgun or other weapon with an overall length of less than 26 inches, or a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length is assembled or otherwise produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle, such a weapon is a "weapon made from a rifle" as defined by 26 U.S.C. 5845(a)(4). Such a weapon would not be a "pistol" because the weapon was not originally designed, made, and intended to fire a projectile by one hand."

http://www.atf.gov/files/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2011-4.pdf

No offense and none taken

Last edited by MisterMcCool; 07-10-2013 at 10:19 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #12

Liked 640 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Quote:
It takes 5 years to serialized before it is recognized and eligible for resale by ATF, DOJ
I was under the impression that an 80% lower you finished yourself could NEVER be transferred, given, sold to ANYONE. Period.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

I was under the impression that an 80% lower you finished yourself could NEVER be transferred, given, sold to ANYONE. Period.
I thought that too.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-10-2013, 01:32 PM   #14

Liked 549 Times on 291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter

If you voluntarily serialized your weapon and file the appropriate paperwork with the appropriate agencies, the serial number will be recognized and will be eligible for resale down the road providing that weapon is locally and federally compliant. I will see if I can find it in paper somewhere. I've been trying to research this 80% legal craze to protect my self because I have a few. From what I've read and speaking to 80% manufacturers,distributors, and LGS that sell them, that's what has came up multiple times. Unfortunately the DOJ and ATF loves to put out fragmented and vague literature, and it's up to us to read between the lines.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #15

Liked 640 Times on 431 Posts
Likes Given: 387

Everything I have read says NO transfer at all. What would be the point in saying no transfer ever on a home made gun..... well unless you put a serial # on it? In that case, you could put a number on it 10 years after you built it, and then sell it. The point is to keep people from manufacturing with out a license....