Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Can any lower be a 'pistol'? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/can-any-lower-pistol-93609/)

sputnik1988 07-09-2013 08:27 AM

Can any lower be a 'pistol'?

If I were to put an A2 receiver extension on a lower with an 11.5" upper and no stock, could it be considered a pistol?

I'm just shopping around and was curious.

DrumJunkie 07-09-2013 08:35 AM

If memory serves the lower has to have been registered as a pistol otherwise you enter into the SBR zone.

sputnik1988 07-09-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1299288)
If memory serves the lower has to have been registered as a pistol otherwise you enter into the SBR zone.

That's what I was wondering, thanks.

I would like to do an SBR eventually but have little interest in a dedicated pistol lower.

I read somewhere that it's ok if you start with a stripped lower it would be legal, just wanted to verify.

sputnik1988 07-09-2013 08:46 AM

Ok, I read that stripped lowers are registered as 'other' on the 4473, so as long as its never had a stock, it is considered other than a rifle.

Sgt_Skrb_25 07-09-2013 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The best way to build a pistol is out f a 80% lower. It doesn't have to be serialized , stamped or registered. The Rifle Act of 1968 covers you there. You can manufacture 49 firearms a year, 3 of which can be pistols. They are not for re-sale, just or personal use. It takes 5 years to serialized before it is recognized and eligible for resale by ATF, DOJ ect...ect... I think if you have a standard lower it has to be stamped as a pistol. I have built a pistol out f an 80% and its legal. It's the best way to go.

sweeper22 07-09-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 1299290)
Ok, I read that stripped lowers are registered as 'other' on the 4473, so as long as its never had a stock, it is considered other than a rifle.

This is the case as I understand it.

A rifle cannot be converted into a pistol.
A pistol can be converted into a rifle (but not back again).
Most places a stripped lower can be built however you like it, so long as it's semiauto and doesn't have both a 16" barrel and stock.

If it has (or ever did have) a stock, additional paperwork is required for a sub 16" barrel/muzzle break combination. As always, differing local laws may apply.

JonM 07-09-2013 05:49 PM

Attaching an a2 buffer tube or carbine tube means its a rifle. There are special pistol buffer tubes for pistols using the ar15 lower. Those must be used. If you use a a2 or carbine tube even if you never buy a stock its still a rifle and a sbr.

gunnut07 07-09-2013 06:01 PM

If it starts out as a pistol and is marked as such you can make it a pistol or a rifle. It doesn't matter if you go back and forth.

AgentTikki 07-09-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gunnut07 (Post 1299576)
If it starts out as a pistol and is marked as such you can make it a pistol or a rifle. It doesn't matter if you go back and forth.

I agree with this in the state of Kommiefornia. Be careful of any advice garnered from the interwebs. Every state has different laws so check and double check the laws in your state.

PS asking a cop about the laws isn't always the greatest idea. Either find the law that applies or seek legal council.

JonM 07-10-2013 04:16 AM

Batfe is quit clear on that if it starts as a pistol it can go to a rifle but can never be a pistol again without going through the sbr procedure. A rifle can never ever never become a pistol without that sbr stamp