Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > California legal upper????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default California legal upper????

Hi. I am reading like crazy on the AR topic, and am concerned regarding California compliance. I get the bullet button and 10 round "fixed" magazine issue. 30" stock length as well. My current question is this; To accept a flash hider, which every prebuilt upper I have seen has, is not that a threaded barrel? In the eyes of the law, could that accept an illegal suppressor/silencer? Are the upper assemblies that, PSA (for example) sells, legal in California? Thanx for any clarification here, tk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2012, 05:23 PM   #2

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

An upper with a threaded barrel that has the threads exposed or has a removable flash hider/supressor/muzzle brake would be illegal in California. To be in compliance you would need to have a non threaded barrel or have a muzzle brake that is permanently attached, thus making your threads useless for anything else. To be considered permanently attached it needs to pinned in place or welded on (JB Weld does not count). Some companies can provide a non-threaded barrel or a perm-attatched muzzle brake for California compliance.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Rifles can have threaded barrels.

Pistols cannot have threaded barrels in CA.

If you have a flash hider or any flash suppression muzzle device on your AR / Rifle, your magazine (should your rifle take them) needs to be permenant affixed. A magazine lock, like a Radlock, Prince 50 etc etc will take care of this issue as you need a tool to remove your magazine.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #4

Rifles

If your barrel is 16" or longer, you do not need to permenantly affix a muzzle device. If it is shorter you do need to permenantly affix it, in order to make the 16" minimum federal requirements. (standard NFA requirements)

Hope this helps you.

These things aren't really an issue if you are buying from a store and off the rack. It really only comes to play if you are rolling your own.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:21 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Got the bullet button/fixed magazine thing. Got the 16" barrel length thing. Got the 10 rd magazine thing. Got the 30" minimum fireable length thing. Right now just confoosed about the flash hider. I don't want to buy an upper from somewhere like PSA and find out the hard way that it is not legal here for some reason. Does the A2 flash hider thread on ?? I have been on Calguns site but get lost in legaleese....There also seems to be some conflicting info, as in the two posts above; one saying it is ok, the other not. Hmmmmm,,, Thanx, tk

Last edited by tomykay12; 12-08-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM   #6

You can have a flash hider if you have a mag lock.

If you do not have a mag lock (aka featureless build) you cannot have a flash hider, pistol grip or collapseable stock.
If you go featureless, you can forgo the mag lock and use preban (2000) previously legally acquired standard capacity magazines....

This is why people do things like this...

870ce4fa.jpg   2011-09-04_10-13-05_197.jpg   ca-legal-camo-006.jpg  

Old 12-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #7

and things like this

dsc04898.jpg   featurless.jpg   u15.jpg  

Old 12-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #8

Note the lack of flash hiders,
Note the lack of pistol grips.
Note the lack of collapseable stocks.

my favorite pic.

The Foot Soldier's Featureless AR.

dsc03267.jpg  

Old 12-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is a quality AR builder in Cal, Franklin Armory, building very nice Cal legal guns. They also sell lowers and uppers for the Ca market.

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.....J B Books.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #10

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 930

AT, your pictures make me wanna cry!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.