CAA Stocks? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > CAA Stocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX4utah View Post
I have been looking at the EMod, but the kit for the EMod is $200+ (which i need for my SP1 rifle). This kit looks like it comes with the buffer tube, spring, lock nut etc for just over a hundred bucks.
The kit you're talking about is the A5 kit. Its a great kit. Basically a collapsible, rifle length extension. All the characteristics of an A2 extension w/ the adjustability of a carbine system. $224 is a decent amount of money but people love the things. You can get a "normal" EMOD kit for $180ish.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
Good points, both of you.

The compartments are designed for C123 batteries which are shorter and larger in diameter than regular AAs. If I remember right you're looking at getting a 512. Will your AAs fit? Will they be to long for the door to close, or to narrow and rattle around? How heavy is this stock? You do realize it is a commercial stock and tube?

I'm not trying to discourage you from this stock kit. I just know from experience that theres better out there. Ive had guys at the range w/ similar set-ups fire my ARs and mention a dramatic difference b/w my Magpuls and their CAA.

3 great kits for less or slightly more money from a great company:
Stock Kits
I know they are Commercial stocks. I have a commercial Lower and I BELIEVE it will work just fine as far as function and fit. I was looking at a 512. I guess I am spoiled but I decided on the XPS2-0 sight. primarily because of it's size and it uses the CR123 battery.

This is a toy that I am having fun tricking out. I do want it to function and be useful in the evnet I ever do need it, but lets be realistic here, It is going to be more for fun and range shooting, so it need to function there first.

The other reason I am going with the XPS2-0 sight is cuz, and I am sorry mjkeats, I have decided to try the CT grip which also uses the CR123 batteries so a specific storage for them is a big factor on my decision. I will look at the other stocks but for what I am going to use it for and the "System" I a building around, the CAA looks like a logical choice. That is not the final decision, but.....

Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Commercial lower?

I own and like the XPS due to its size as well.

The commercial receiver extension is not as durable as a mil-spec.

If it is simply a range toy where does the desire to have battery storage on the weapon come from? For the range, whether it be 3 gun or just target shooting, wouldn't your range bag make for better storage? Do you really want the added weight when you can store things in your range bag.

I guess our thoughts on function are different. I see reliability and comfort as the two major ingredients in function. Stronger materials and a better cheek weld aid in the reliability and function of a weapon. Weight is also a large part of this. If you have a heavy weapon, you the shooter are going to be neg. affected, decreasing your functionality and reliability. While running drills or just punching paper you're going to become fatigued. The lighter and more comfortable your weapon the longer you'll be able to maintain proper technique. As fatigue sets in my accuracy always suffers. Whether it be from physical or mental aspects. Weight also is a key part of your weapons balance. Balance can play a huge part in function as well.

Fun is why I invest so much into this sport. Its not fun throwing a bunch of money at something then realize there were more reliable parts out there. Its like purchasing an unstaked, untested BCG then finding out you could have had a BCM BCG for $139.

Lastly but least important is the coolness factor. As much as I hate to say it the Magpul and VLTOR stocks are just plain cool. It just happens they are extremely functional and well made. I would argue more so than a CAA. Theres a reason you mostly see certain parts on the weapons of war fighters and other professionals.

Don't take this as trying to push parts on you or me telling you what to do. I'm just giving advice from my view on the subject. I think you'll be happier not going the CAA route.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:31 PM   #14

I am taking all of these comments to heart. I will survey the options. Hell I don't have a clue where to go now.

But I will figure it out. That is the down side to internet shopping. MUCH easier when you can actually place your hands on something.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I am taking all of these comments to heart. I will survey the options. Hell I don't have a clue where to go now.

But I will figure it out. That is the down side to internet shopping. MUCH easier when you can actually place your hands on something.
True, and thats where testimony from others comes into play. I know we all look forward to seeing the end product. Have fun w/ it.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #16

I will and I have. Had a few minutes to see how it cycles yesterday. WOW it shoots like a dream. 2.5" North of the 10 ring at 100 yards. Might be dead on at 200. Not wanting THIS AR for 200 yard shots so I need to paper it better at about 50 yards once all the toys are on it. Only got to shoot 10 rounds or so, but it is SWEET!!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 PM   #17

I've had the CAA Stock on my previous AR15 and liked it alot. It may weigh a few more ounces than a magpul CTR, but is a great stock. Very tough. The battery compartment held enough for two changes of my Surefire G2 LED batteries. You won't be dissapointed.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I will and I have. Had a few minutes to see how it cycles yesterday. WOW it shoots like a dream. 2.5" North of the 10 ring at 100 yards. Might be dead on at 200. Not wanting THIS AR for 200 yard shots so I need to paper it better at about 50 yards once all the toys are on it. Only got to shoot 10 rounds or so, but it is SWEET!!!!
Good to hear man.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM   #19

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Woody, it is refreshing to see the conversation between you and mjkeat. I know it can hurt when something you have your heart set on may fall a little short. No doubt you can go with CAA and it probably will work out all right.

But I agree with everything MJ said. Pretty hard to beat a 7075 T6 milspec size receiver extension/H buffer and quality stock. You do pay more but it's forgotten fairly quickly.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.