CA price woes
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > CA price woes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default CA price woes

So I saw some threads indicating reasonably priced lowers, and found some ads online for good stripped lower prices, but I've been calling local FFLs, and the going rate is around $200!! Before tax+background check! More than half the guys I talked to wouldn't even touch the d@m^ things. I'm reluctant to drop $250 for an aluminum paperweight before I've even begun putting anything useful together. Anyone from southern CA know of an FFL who has reasonable prices or charges less than $80 for a fargin transfer fee? Or am I SOL in CA?

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2010, 10:56 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

$80 for a transfer fee?!?!?

Holy Hell dude, they are RAPING you down there.

There are a couple of folks here that have built quality AR's in your neck of the woods.

If he doesn't stop by, PM jo da plumber as he has recently completed a very nice build and got the whole thing piece meal in SoCal.

Good luck and PM if you need help.

JD

Old 03-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
$80 for a transfer fee?!?!?

Holy Hell dude, they are RAPING you down there.

JD
Right? It seems its either $180 for the OLL with $35 BC fee and tax from stuck up *****s, $200 plus $25 BC fee and tax from decent guys, or $125 online with tax, background, and an extortionary transfer fee that they admit they jack up as a penalty for not buying the piece from them. I know what they say, "Vote with your feet," but there really aren't that many options down here.

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Unfortunately, that's just the way it is in the People's Republik of Kalifornia. We overpay and are overtaxed as a matter of course. Good luck with your build.

Check out this forum for some help: Calguns.net - Powered by vBulletin

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The last few I bought at Ammo Brothers were around $150 + DROS fees.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. Transfer fee out here runs usually about $15-$25. Know anyone in Arizona? lol

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #7

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Hey i just got my lrb arms OLL for 130 plus dros from ammo brothers(one store in citrus and mine from their store in ontario) and they have lrb, a dedicated 22 stripped lower from the place with a spider symbol and rock river arms lowers for like 180 plus tax and their $25 dros.
my end build came out to like 920 with a dpms upper and bull barrel. it's sweet. don't forget you gotta do a mag lock if yo want the pistol grip(i think that's how it goes)

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 04-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #8

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let me know if you keep having trouble. I routinely find them aroudn Fresno for $150+fees.

JD,
Most of the transfers I've seen around here are around $80. It is rape. That's why I have one good FFL and just have him order what I want. As long as I buy it from him, he only charges me the DROS which is $25.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 04-01-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:38 AM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The state of CA limits the actual "transfer fee" that can be charged to $10 (if I remember right), plus the DROS Fee. But that is for "walk in, face to face Private Party" transfers. When they are shipped the FFL can charge additional fees for other "services". Transfers that come FROM an FFL are not considered "Private Party Transfers", even if the FFL walked in.

It is all a racket here, but we still get along.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Let me know if you keep having trouble. I routinely find them aroudn Fresno for $150+fees.

JD,
Most of the transfers I've seen around here are around $80. It is rape. That's why I have one good FFL and just have him order what I want. As long as I buy it from him, he only charges me the DROS which is $25.
I'm kinda isolated in SB county. I've been given a fairly good directory of dealers with decent prices, but the trouble I'm seeing now is that all the FFLs with reasonable deals are so far away the gas for two trips (one to order and one to pick up) would be way more than any discount I'm likely to find. Looks like I'm gonna have to buck up and buy the $250 paperweight! Oh well, I guess that will just make me appreciate it more, right?