Buying at Gun Shows - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buying at Gun Shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Kind of a mixed bag on views of gun shows. I set up at the local shows and a couple of big shows around the country. I have been doing this since the early 90's. I do not sell firearms (did in the past) but I do sell accessories. At the bigger shows, 400 plus tables, it seems the prices are better because of more competition. The smaller shows less competition higher prices. If you buy at a show you don't have to pay shipping and cash usually gets you a better deal. I make alot of my own accessories and sell them reasonably. On the stuff I purchase to re-sell, I buy mostly at wholesale and always try to sell below suggested retail. Being "in the business" and being and end user as well, I try to look at it from a consumers point of view. I try to provide quality products at a reasonable prices with most of them backed by a life time warrantee. Most of the prodcuts I sell I have used and have put through the paces. I they don't perform well I do not sell them.

Mark

MLR Distributing

Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 PM   #22

Just got back from a gun show in Tucson, AZ today. Maybe 200 tables mostly antiques, junk and accessories. Horrible prices! It's amazing that people buy stuff they have no idea what they are buying. I just had to bite my toung as I watched people pay almost twice as much as an item was worth.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:55 AM   #23

I just attended the Rocky Mountain Gun Show here a few weeks ago. The only thing worth buying there for me was some ammo. Most of the guns were overpriced or same as my local shops. Though some of them did have stuff that I couldn't find anywhere online but I didn't have enough money for them anyway haha. But I think it was worth the $10 entry fee because it was my first gun show and I got to get up close with some of the guns I wouldn't be able to touch otherwise. There's another one coming up next month Cross Road of the West or something I think I'm going to go to that one as well as I have heard they are much larger than the one I went to. Hopefully I'll have some money for some more ammo.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 PM   #24

In summary, Gun Shows are not useful for the purpose of building an AR15 M4. Neither in price or availability of parts.
It is cheap entertainment at about $10.00 for a couple of hours and well worth it.
Continue going and learn something, first hand, of the gun and products that otherwise would not be available in one place.
Lots of free information.
Do you guys agree?

Old 08-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #25

Round here gun shows can be a joke. Prices are usually better if i go to the store to buy. However gun shows are good for getting info and finding odd weapons you dont find at stores and such. Also shows can be good for buying accessories (sometimes) and ammo.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #26

Liked 1019 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
In summary, Gun Shows are not useful for the purpose of building an AR15 M4. Neither in price or availability of parts.
It is cheap entertainment at about $10.00 for a couple of hours and well worth it.
Continue going and learn something, first hand, of the gun and products that otherwise would not be available in one place.
Lots of free information.
Do you guys agree?
I pretty much agree. I mainly go because I bump in to someone I haven't seen in a while or stumble over something good occasionally. I rarely go expecting to find something but the admission price isn't much and you always find something interesting. Last gun I bought at a gun show was my WASR-10 five years ago, which turned out to be a good deal.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:58 PM   #27

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

I found a couple of good deals at a gun show. Found an AR lower that I turned around and re-sold for 5 times what I paid for it, but for the most part the guns and parts are overpriced. A guy wanted almost 250 bucks for a set of triangle hand guards for a SP1 that he swore up and down had seen combat in Viet Nam. They looked original, but no way to confirm. Good way to see what is out there. First time I saw an LSW was at a gun show. Seller wanted 1800 bucks for it, so I steered clear. If it was the real deal, he could have gotten 10 grand easily for it if it was transferrable. If it was a replica, it was way overpriced. I got a beretta storm for 200 bucks. Fun to shoot, and good for home defense. You just shouldn't buy anything without knowing what it would cost to get it retail.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #28

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Yeah, same here! Gun Shows used to be fun & a good place to go for the "deals", but now they're pretty much a waste of time and money unless you're looking for some good beef jerky or Beenie Babies. I can't even remember the last time I bought something gun related at a gun show.

On-line is the best way to go even with shipping.
+1 About the only things I've bought at a show in the last 5 years has been leather goods (wallet, checkbook cover, belt, holster), ammo, and raffle tickets. Otherwise it is just a case of look and drool then go home and order online.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #29

Default Insider Secret

You know that the Vendors set up on the day before the gun show right?
You know that alot of the good deals are snatched up before you get there on the day of the gun show right?
You know that you have to pay parking on show days right?
You know that you have to pay admission on show days right?

Well then why don't you go to get the good deals when vendors are setting up, when the good deals are still there, when there is no parking fee and no gun show admission fee? Go on set up Friday along with all the Vendors! It is a totally different experience!

No one checks to see who you are and you can wander around all afternoon and shoot the bull with the vendors and look through their stuff while they are setting up. Builds good relationships too, so that next show the vendors will bring what you're looking for from other vendors and shows and have it for you at the next show set up.

Helps to carry around a box of donuts too - these guys and gals love to eat!

Last edited by dailygundeals; 08-30-2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Didn't finish - hit enter and it was GONE!

Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #30

Liked 224 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 308

My first gun show was at Medina OH, real small town. No parking fee, and entry was 8 bucks. Lot of people came to the show with stuff to sell out of their trunk, so the sellers inside had to bring their price down to earth a little. Still a bunch of stuff overpriced.