Buying at Gun Shows - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buying at Gun Shows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 12:54 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I noticed that the ammo dealers are adding the shipping cost and then some to the cost of the ammo. It is real hard to find a good deal on ammo that is why I buy mine online.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 AM   #12

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I go to a lot of shows. It is like fishing, sometimes you catch the big ones, sometimes you don't. I used to live in Miami and went to the show there often. (1990s) Is it still at the Coconut Grove convention center? I thought it was great. I bought my first Norinco SKS there, NIB for $79.00......

The best thing about the shows is you get to handle a lot of product. If you can't find a deal, at least you can see how it feels in your hand. You can't do that online.

I also go early and look for private vendors first, and I have got some great deals there. I swapped a $200.00 shotgun for a $1100.00 rifle at a recent show. We were both very happy. My son bought a "broken"1911 for $400.00 at the last show. We brought it home, turned around the main spring and had a $700.00 great shooter.

You have to know the value of what you are looking at at the shows or the bug can bite you and you can get taken if you aren't careful. I take my favorite firearms value catalog and leave it in the car for reference if needed.

There is something to be said for the crowd at shows too.... the most polite people you will ever be around.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 08-26-2011, 01:06 AM   #13

I still like to go, I am loyal to my FFL and he has one of the largest tables, but I've only bought one gun from him at a show, I find I get a better deal if I contact him personally and let him do some shopping for me.
Usually I buy knives, magazines, holsters, etc., but have a great time window shopping

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 AM   #14

Liked 2018 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 1347

I rarely miss a gun show. Sometimes I buy. But not usually guns. The guns are usually overpriced. But if you are looking for parts, or used reloading stuff, bargains can be found. I went to a gun show one time that had a booth with nothing but 1911 parts. Amazing!!! He had everything. You could have sat there and assembled a gun! He had everything from trigger kits to grips to barrels and compensators. His prices were pretty good too.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:53 AM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I go to gun shows more often than not. 300 tables is a big show here. I have friendly nodding acquaintance with several people I only see at gun shows. The Lovely Mrs bought me a Kimber Compact Stainless at the Palmer show a few years ago for $550. I bought her one at the Palmer show last spring for $700. (Yes, she's worth $150 more than me.) I got a Marlin .30-30 at the Wasilla show last spring for $275. Maybe not world-beater deals but I'm happy. I've been to many shows and seen the same old crap on table after table, but once in a while something springs out at you. The fishing analogy is a good one.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #16

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

I've skipped the last few gun shows here, rarely find a good deal. Last one was some surplus AK mags for $10 ea. But you never know what you'll find, I just don't expect much anymore.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The last gun show i went to this year was as follows

Cheap Brands: Brands like Taurus, RIA, etc. there were deals galore, for obvious reasons . Same with Russian guns like the Makarov or Tokarov, deals galore.

Reputable Brands: Brands like Springfield, Ruger, Glock etc. most were "how dare you!!!" priced. There were a few deals like a lightly used Ruger SR9 for 380 and (still kicking myself in the arse for this one) a Gen4 Glock 17 BNIB for 430.00. I almost pulled the trigger on it but the feel in my hand was meh, not terrible but not great. Also knew nothing of the pricing otherwise i would have bought it, run a few boxes through it and if i decided it wasn't for me probably could have sold it for profit The guy selling it was a pretty cool dude as well, he was a Vietnam Vet from the Marines and just a really cool, knowledgable guy.

AR's: These were "how dare you!!" priced and then some! Like for instance saw a DPMS rifle that sells for around 900.00 and the guy was asking 1500 for a USED one!!!

Ammo:Same prices as Gander Mountain so no deals to be had there

Either way it was fun as i got a chance to put my hands on some guns i've never even seen in any LGS i've been to as well as some cool WW1 and WW2 relics. You may not find the deal of the century but i still think it was worth the entry fee

"If guns kill people then does that mean the spoon is the reason Rosie O'Donnell is fat"

"Guns don't kill people.......People kill people"

Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

There are two places you'll hear: "Stick 'em up!"
Golden era of Cagney, Bogart, & Robinson. And
today at your average gun shows!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #19

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts

In Southwest Ohio, you can get okay deals on ammo, and the guns are a little cheaper. And, there are a few tables that will make holsters for great prices, and they're made to your specs.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:54 AM   #20

Ive mostly given up on gunshows for a bargain. i do still go to look at the old stuff. for those considering an AR build (or 1911 ) or buying accessories, its a good place to pick it up and get a "real feel" before buying from the net.