Buying a ar15 need help. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buying a ar15 need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 01:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

IMHO,
Stay away from Vulcan/Blackthorne/Hesse or PCF (formerly Plum Crazy firearms) or any polymer uppers or lowers. Colt has probably the best quality control record of all the brands, even tho all of them will have a hiccup from time to time. Smith and Wesson M&P series is a good rifle at a lower cost. If I was going to buy an AR to start with and had the money, it would be a barebones(as much as possible anyway) carbine, and customize it item by item.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-28-2013, 05:41 AM   #12

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez View Post
Remeer folks. our guns DO NOT fire full auto. so having a less than milspec gun means little for our applications.
Heat load from full auto is what neccessiates those higher specs for the military

Having said tha,t the old 3 Tier system is no longer valid as many of the so called "tier 3" brands have the same or nearly same specs now in thier better models.

You can get a rifle from Delton that has 4150 steel, CL chamber an dbarrell. MPI/HPT bolts etc etc for 700 dollars (pre bubble price).
Is the finishs as nice as a RRA or a DD? No but I dont think everyone cars about that.

I own a Daniel Defense DDM4V5 and a SIG516 because i enjoy something really nice and expensive with beautiful finish and can easily afford such guns.

But I dont want to send people that are on a budget on a wild goose chase for high dollar $$ brands by making them think enty level AR's are not good enough. They <are> good enough.

if you are on a budget the big entry level brands Delton, DPMS and such, are fanastic guns and likely better quality than what the US military got from Colt in the 70's.

And its not like the "better" brands are immune from problems:

I just bought a Smith & Wesson MP15 MOE (which I had ordered before the bubble) and this is considered a high Tier 2 or even low Tier 1 gun by many.

And the Front sight post was crooked!!!!
On the S&W!

But both Deltons I have owned had zero problems , the uppers where not beautifully finsihed, but they shot straight and the FST was straight, and they had the right specs too.
Hard to understand what you're saying but it sounds like the OP may run his rifle hard so I'm sure not going to recommend a commercial grade AR especially when you can get a milspec PSA for the price of Bushamster&co.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #13

I am a new member here too, and just purchased my first AR-15 from Mills Fleet Farm, here in Minnesota. They had a BUNCH of them. Only one 30 round mag per purchase, with NO extra mags
available. Lots of ammo too. They have 1000 round packages for $350.

"Let's be careful out there" - Phil Esterhouse

Old 01-29-2013, 01:16 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I think I'm going to go with colt if I can find one... they were going for $1050 hope I can get one for same price or less..

Old 01-29-2013, 02:32 AM   #15

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

Dream on bruce

Old 01-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well from what I can find out is there only going to in force background checks.. So the market should be getting better hopefully sooner than later..

Old 01-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #17

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

enforce? ALL dealer firearms transactions already invove background checks.

btw before a nics check can be done, one must give their ffl number.

private sales?........gov better prepare for spending lots to hire huhdreds of nics operators AND prepare for invasion of privacy lawsuits.

Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #18

Liked 238 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Hard to understand what you're saying but it sounds like the OP may run his rifle hard so I'm sure not going to recommend a commercial grade AR especially when you can get a milspec PSA for the price of Bushamster&co.
Bushamster? I have never heard of them, oh. grammar king

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
Bushamster? I have never heard of them, oh. grammar king
Intentionally misspelled! I saw it spelled that way once and loved it!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce101 View Post
Yea I think I'm going to go with colt if I can find one... they were going for $1050 hope I can get one for same price or less..
Colt is an excellent choice, Bruce, and is about as close to your M4 as you can financially and legally get. Get to know the gun people at your Walmarts nearby. Maybe you can get a heads up when the next $1097 LE6920 is due in.

______