Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buying a ar15 need help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First off thanks for taking the time to look at this.

I'm not completely new to the ar platform I'm in the military and run a colt m4, but doing all this research is starting to get me confused... Just a few things like 1/7, 1/8, 1/9 twist , chrome lined barrel, pencil thick barrel .....ect ect...

Basically I need a quick rundown on a ar15.. I want a good one that can take a beating at shooting schools and be tough enough to last a Long time as my go too gun when **** hits the fan... But I don't want to drop a hole lot of money on one at the moment.

What are the good brands to stick with and what are the iffy ones to stay away from...I would like to have a low gas block cause I plan on putting a troy, Daniel defense, or noveske free float rail on it.

Here's what I want to build/ make it look like..

image-2528279485.jpg  

Last edited by bruce101; 01-27-2013 at 10:01 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-27-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1102 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Well building is easier than it sounds and a great way to get the look and functions you want. At the current time it's hard to find any rifles or parts . You just need to keep your eyes open. I say start with the stripped lower. Look to PSA, stag, DD, spikes tactical.

The barrel twist is a guideline for what weight of bullets should shoot the best. The faster 1/7 twist should in theory be better for heavier 75gr bullets than say a lighter 50 or 55gr bullet. But the 1/9 is better for light bullets. It's not always a guaranteed thing but generally true.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:15 PM   #3

Liked 185 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Read the stickies they have a bunch of good info about barrel twists and recommended bullet grain weight for each. As for a quality AR you won't get anything now for a reasonable price unless you're lucky. If you wait till prices go back to normal you could get two for the price you're paying for one these days.

Marlin Model 60
Mossberg Maverick 88-12 GA
Mosin Nagant 91/30
Stag Model 2
Smith And Wesson M&P 15-22
Mossberg ATR 100 "Night Train"-.308
Chinese T53 Mosin Nagant X2

Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Check out the stickies in the AR section. It is a wealth of information and will answer most of your questions.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Liked 387 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

I also recommend you read the AR15 stickies.

Having said that while many snobs claim 1 in 7 is superior for all but the most exotic heavy loads is just as good and may be marginally better for the most common 55 grain ammo.

I currently own one with a 2 in 9 barrel, and 2 w/ a 1 in 7 barrell and i cannot discern a difference on the range with different rounds ( of course I stick to the most common loads only such as 55 gr and 62 gr but that is what 90% of ppl shoot)

if you are going to shooting schools you mgith want to look at a high end one.
Those actually have not risen as much in price as entry level guns.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 01-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #6

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Do you want an M4gery, pretty much a semiauto M4? The Colt 6920 is a civilian legal form of the M4 you now carry, except for SA and a 16" barrel. Their 6720 is the same except for a pencil barrel.

I like the 16" pencil barrel but at 16" prefer the midlength gas length which is 2" longer than the carbine length gas which is perfect on the 14.5" M4. I'd say look hard at a BCM and Daniel Defense because Colt doesn't offer a middy. Other brands to consider for a patrol/duty rifle: LMT, Noveske, PSA, Sionics, Spikes and a few more. Colt of course if you want carbine length gas. I'd stay away from Bushmaster, DPMS, Oly, DTI, Windham and other commercial spec'd ARs

Anyway, 1/7" twist; chrome lined pencil barrel, chamber and bolt carrier; milspec materials and measurements are the way to go.

PSA is the best bang for the buck now but of course times are tough for the AR buyer now. Remember you can put together the parts of your choice yourself. Not hard at all.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 01-27-2013 at 10:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5193 Times on 2962 Posts
Likes Given: 4412

What Quentin said.

I have the Colt 6940 with TA31H ACOG. IMHO, the way to go.

Golda Meier.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 01-27-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Liked 946 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 940

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
... I have the Colt 6940 with TA31H ACOG. IMHO, the way to go.
Excellent configuration, Locutus!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Liked 387 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 1378

Remeer folks. our guns DO NOT fire full auto. so having a less than milspec gun means little for our applications.
Heat load from full auto is what neccessiates those higher specs for the military

Having said tha,t the old 3 Tier system is no longer valid as many of the so called "tier 3" brands have the same or nearly same specs now in thier better models.

You can get a rifle from Delton that has 4150 steel, CL chamber an dbarrell. MPI/HPT bolts etc etc for 700 dollars (pre bubble price).
Is the finishs as nice as a RRA or a DD? No but I dont think everyone cars about that.

I own a Daniel Defense DDM4V5 and a SIG516 because i enjoy something really nice and expensive with beautiful finish and can easily afford such guns.

But I dont want to send people that are on a budget on a wild goose chase for high dollar $$ brands by making them think enty level AR's are not good enough. They <are> good enough.

if you are on a budget the big entry level brands Delton, DPMS and such, are fanastic guns and likely better quality than what the US military got from Colt in the 70's.

And its not like the "better" brands are immune from problems:

I just bought a Smith & Wesson MP15 MOE (which I had ordered before the bubble) and this is considered a high Tier 2 or even low Tier 1 gun by many.

And the Front sight post was crooked!!!!
On the S&W!

But both Deltons I have owned had zero problems , the uppers where not beautifully finsihed, but they shot straight and the FST was straight, and they had the right specs too.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 01-28-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:10 AM   #10

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

based on your picture, you'll want to get:

Magpul AFG

The optic looks like an Aimpoint...what exact model I don't know and I could be wrong, it's just what popped in my head when I saw it. But my personal opinion would be to go with an EOtech. I have an EXPS 2-0 and love it.

If want my OPINION - get a Colt.

I own an LE6940 and I love it. Beyond belief.

Others will have differing opinions, but opinions are all you're going to get to go by. Everyone has different needs and circumstances, all of which have to be taken into consideration when picking a rifle.