You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Buying an AR15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Buying an AR15

Hello , new member here. Will be buying in next month or so at $800 or under. Plan on getting something w/o sights or optics and would like adice on add ons. Purpose is home defense and possible SHTF. I'm a retired Police Officer and used an M16 47 years ago. Brings me to frequent use of the forward assist. Why should I not fear some of the models that drop that feature? Thanks for any info.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #2

Liked 197 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Here you go. Snap the upper and lower together and your ready. I forgot to link a BUIS. I have been happy with Magpul but there are other options.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-complete-classic-enhanced-lower-blem.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

http://www.primaryarms.com/am-10-08-m16-nit/p/am-10-08-m16-nit/

http://www.primaryarms.com/am-27-assm/p/am-27-assm/

Old 09-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12113 Times on 6376 Posts
Likes Given: 11800

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianRunner View Post
Hello , new member here. Will be buying in next month or so at $800 or under. Plan on getting something w/o sights or optics and would like adice on add ons. Purpose is home defense and possible SHTF. I'm a retired Police Officer and used an M16 47 years ago. Brings me to frequent use of the forward assist. Why should I not fear some of the models that drop that feature? Thanks for any info.
Spend a couple of hundred dollars more and get a Colt LE6920 or LE 6940.

Add ons? All you really need is a sling and a ten pack of P-Mags. An optical sight is very nice, but not really needed. (I have ACOGs on mine)

You don't need flashlights, floodlights, laser lights, Beta drums, mud flaps or raccoon tails!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Old 09-08-2016, 06:27 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, you can save a lot of dough by doing something like this, or building one yourself, they are super easy to build. I would go with the nickel boron BCG, but PSA has been out of stock for a while now. You can get a couple PSA's and have some left over for what the price you'd pay for some of the others.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:25 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hey , Aim surplus has NiB bcg for $99

Old 09-09-2016, 03:42 AM   #6

Liked 1694 Times on 941 Posts
Likes Given: 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11C1P View Post
Yeah, you can save a lot of dough by doing something like this, or building one yourself, they are super easy to build. I would go with the nickel boron BCG, but PSA has been out of stock for a while now. You can get a couple PSA's and have some left over for what the price you'd pay for some of the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickOShay13 View Post
Hey , Aim surplus has NiB bcg for $99
All of the fancy coatings are a joke. Every standard phosphate coated BCG that I own still looks like new after thousands of rounds fired from them. The NiB and Melonite coated BCG's that I own,the coatings showed wear after the first range session with them,plus the NiB coated BCG looks nothing like it did when it was new.It is stained from the oils and carbon,and has a dingy yellow tint to it now.

I'll never waste my money on these type of coatings again!
North American Hunting Club

Old 09-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #7

Liked 78 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Colt 6720 ( lightweight) or 6920 and you will have a rifle to last a lifetime without any modifications ( darn near $ support PSA but in this case Colt).
Buy a bunch of P mags ( I prefer 20's) and while super cheap, a couple of cases of Federal bulk ammo from PSA.....they currently have a case of ammo and ten 30 rd mags for about $350.
After a couple of cases of ammo on the shelf and a bunch of firing then think about a red dot or other optic. Don't worry about a forward assist, they are rarely used anymore.

Old 09-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7462 Times on 3977 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Forward assist is the self destruct button.

Get a round that has no powder or bad powder primer goes pop no boom bullet gets pushed into throat, user racks gun, gun does not go fully into battery due to bullet forced just into lands and blocking new cartridge. Forward assist (self destruct button) is pushed to force bolt closed trigger pulled... kaboom.

A forward assist is never ever never needed on a properly working gun. If your gun is not going into battery after racking it something is blocking the round and using a forward assist is making it worse... not better.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2016, 01:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12113 Times on 6376 Posts
Likes Given: 11800

I have forward assist on three ARs. One AR-10 and two ARs.

NEVER used one. If the round doesn't chamber, I eject it and chamber another round. If the second round doesn't go into battery, there's something wrong with the weapon.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #10

Liked 70 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have forward assist on three ARs. One AR-10 and two ARs.

NEVER used one. If the round doesn't chamber, I eject it and chamber another round. If the second round doesn't go into battery, there's something wrong with the weapon.
Same here, I had a number of AR's for over 30 years and have never used the forward assist.