Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buyer's Remorse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 690

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id= 462

Pulling up the RRA page above and looking over the Elite Operator 2 specs I do think at $1K you could have done better but as you say you're overseas and had to trust a family member. The main criticism for such a carbine would be for "duty use" or heavy use in a combat or training mode. If you're not using it in that capacity then the RRA should do well. No doubt your uncle bought the rifles in good faith and I suspect you'll be satisfied.

Specs that stand out to me are: the lack of a chrome lined barrel, the 1:9" twist (unless you'll never use heavier/longer rounds), the commercial diameter receiver extension, possible questions on the BCG, and the 8 pound weight (is that a misprint!!!???). Now if you want an accurate rifle and normally will be firing 62gr and under ammo, this should be fine. I am not trying to knock your rifle, just pointing things out that you may want to consider when you do a build in the future. Below are more specs you might want to consider. BCM is an excellent supplier of ARs and they are very good about sharing their specs unlike most brands.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Mid-16LW-Light-weight-AR15-Bravo-Company-s/148.htm

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 08-27-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #12

Liked 133 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrhudy View Post
The thing that gives me remorse is finding a "certain" website that trashes all guns not named Colt, BCM, or Noveske
Quit hanging out at m4carbine.net.

Seriously, in lots of people's opinions RRA is the best of the mid-range priced AR's. I have one and like it a lots. It will serve you will.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Rock River Arms makes excellent rifles that usually exceed the capabilities of most shooters. And, they are reasonably-priced. If you are looking for a custom precision rifle because you are a professional shooter, it may not meet your needs.

I would definitely buy a RRA rifle.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #14

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Company X screwed them over and sacrifices puppies to Satan.

JD
Awww Dillinger, why did you have to throw the puppies under the bus?

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #15

@Quentin: These are the exact thoughts I had after doing more research. I would have probably gone the BCM route if had been in the States, but the situation was unique. I know I will enjoy the RR for my intended purposes. Luckily, I have a good job that will allow for a follow-up AR or a custom build.

@Seven: How did you know?

BTW: Can someone recommend some plinking ammo to break her in with?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

Liked 152 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 206

[QUOTE=klrhudy;918870BTW: Can someone recommend some plinking ammo to break her in with?[/QUOTE]

Your RR will shoot any ammo out there if it is not defective. There are as many opinions about ammo as there are about the guns out there, but for just plinking or target practice, I use Wolf. Cheap, but reliable. If I were to compete in a match or something of that nature, I would go with Hornaday. That is just my preference, you will need to experiment to see what suits you.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #17

Liked 2175 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 188

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrhudy View Post
@Quentin: These are the exact thoughts I had after doing more research. I would have probably gone the BCM route if had been in the States, but the situation was unique. I know I will enjoy the RR for my intended purposes. Luckily, I have a good job that will allow for a follow-up AR or a custom build.

@Seven: How did you know?

BTW: Can someone recommend some plinking ammo to break her in with?
I've been using PMC Bronze & Xtac and my reloads. 100% so far.
I have been meaning to crack open the can of Tula steel cased stuff to see how it works.
NRA Life Member

"Why can't I just eat my waffle?" B. H. Obama. (Sort of representative of his whole tenure, when you think about it.)

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #18

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

Name:  RRA and two boxes (ii).jpg
Views: 95
Size:  31.8 KB

this RRA beast eats Wolf 62gr and patterns inside a softball @ 100yds with the same ammo.

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me