Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Buyer's Remorse (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/buyers-remorse-71227/)

klrhudy 08-27-2012 04:10 PM

Buyer's Remorse

First off, really love the board and the knowledge gained. My question is regarding buyer's remorse. Has anyone ever selected and bought a certain AR brand and had buyer's remorse?

I am overseas (Germany) currently and have always wanted to get an AR. The tragedy in CO and the election sped up my decision to buy even though I am overseas. I asked my Uncle (overall gun guy and hunter that has 2 ARs) to give advise and recommend something in the $1000 range that was well made and accurate for mainly range use. I should note that my Uncle is not an Internet guy, so he told me one of his friends is a Rock River dealer and could get one for $985 plus tax that retails for $1500. I trust his opinion so I told him to go for it. The gun in question is the Elite Operator 2. So after becoming an owner of this rifle (he bought one as well), I begin to do more of my own research. The first thing is these guns are going for the same price directly from Rock River. That is not such a big deal. The thing that gives me remorse is finding a "certain" website that trashes all guns not named Colt, BCM, or Noveske or milspec especially considering that some of these brands can be had for a similar price range. Note: My original plan is to shoot the heck out of it, while learning what I like and don't like and then "build" a second one.

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for the replies.

silverado113 08-27-2012 04:15 PM

RRA is not a bad choice at all, their 2 stage trigger is nice. My biggest issue with them is their customer service and being a dealer direct with them not being able to get a straight answer as to when my order will be ready. Other than that it is still a good option and the only thing that really matters is that when you shoot it, it goes bang and YOU are happy with its performance. You will have "fanboys" (people who say if the gun isn't XYZ it's crap) everywhere.

treehugger49 08-27-2012 04:53 PM

I'd have no remorse over that deal. You're getting a good rifle at a reasonable price. It should serve you well for your intended usage.

I have a RRA Entry Tactical and couldn't be happier.

Don't be too concerned about what logo is stamped on the receiver.

jjfuller1 08-27-2012 04:57 PM

RRA makes pretty good rifles. sounds like a nice deal. im sure once you shoot it you will be very happy with it.

Overkill0084 08-27-2012 05:16 PM

I recently bought my first AR-15 a while back.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/range-report-review-rock-river-arms-tactical-operator-2-a-70067/

It's a nice shooter. For just under $1k, it's a pretty decent gun. The internet is full of opinions, some better than others. In my experience, there is always someone who will have a problem with your choices. If you're happy, don't sweat it. It's been my observation that there are brand loyalists (Fanboys) in EVERY category. If you try to please them all, you'll never buy anything.

fsted2a 08-27-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjfuller1 (Post 917712)
RRA makes pretty good rifles. sounds like a nice deal. im sure once you shoot it you will be very happy with it.

When you get back home, go buy a buttload of ammo and start sending rounds downrange at the earliest opportunity!! Then you will forget all the people who have poo pooed your choice, and you will enjoy your AR.

fmj 08-27-2012 06:36 PM

squeeze trigger, says "BANG", hits target, repeat.

No remorse!

and for those that say otherwise...

connectegr 08-27-2012 07:18 PM

Shoot it and enjoy. I had the same feeling after buying my AR. It was recommended by a trusted gun store, and has been flawless for thousands of rounds. But it does lack the BCM or Colt stamp. I am taking the same approach... I will shoot it like crazy, and learn what I will change in a future build. So far I would not change much. Enjoy it and shoot the H__L out of it.

drvsafe 08-27-2012 07:21 PM

Don't sweat it, opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink. It's a good quality rifle.

Dillinger 08-27-2012 07:36 PM

What you have described in your other forum experience is exactly what I hate about the AR-15 specifically and other forums as a whole.

Sure. You can spend twice as much and get a gun that some former spec-ops guy personally picked out the part list and its going to be maybe 5%-10% better to the absolute average shooter in the LIFETIME of their time with the weapon.

If you were buying a gun to do serious 3 gun competition, or just got a gig with a PMC and had to provide your own gun, it would be worth it to spend more money and get the absolute best parts (along with some key backups) to take in harm's way.

Rock River Arms, just like every other manufacturer, has had high points and low points in their manufacturing.

There is a belief that BCM is somehow this super company that has never had a problem. In reality they have some pretty interesting Better Business Bureau complaints (if you go back all the way to inception) for a company that was founded in 2003 by an owner who has already filed for Chapter 11 and closed a "previous" venture. :rolleyes:

There is also a belief that Colt can do no wrong but no ever talks about all the people that got screwed when Colt tried to go all proprietary with their pin size and pigeon holed a bunch of loyal buyers with a weapon that would only accept Colt parts for almost 15 years. Not cool.

If you want to look long and hard, you are going to find someone, somewhere that thinks what you bought is sh*t and has a buddy, or a friend, or a story about Company X screwed them over and sacrifices puppies to Satan.

I think you got a good deal, on a good gun, that is probably going to see enough rounds to be considered average usage and thus never experience the "dead in a ditch" fantasy that so many fanboys want to point too when it comes to the mystery of this platform.

I say shoot and come back and post a full report detailing all the good, bad or indifferent and let's get some fresh blood reviews out there for people in your shoes right now. ;)

JD