Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Buy dpms sweet 16 or build one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Buy dpms sweet 16 or build one

Can buy dpms sweet 16 bull barrel for 899 how does this compare to what it would cost to build something comparable

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2009, 05:36 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try ar15.com and look at Del-Ton or J-T links. Supply a stripped lower and you can build one including the price of the lower for around $900.00. Although, I believe that in most states you must be 21 years old to purchase a stripped lower legally. It's a federal issue because the AR lower can be used to build a pistol.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwokhunter View Post
Can buy dpms sweet 16 bull barrel for 899 how does this compare to what it would cost to build something comparable

Bull barreled upper receivers are expensive. You can build a standard barrel AR for less than $900, but to get the DPMS equivalent will cost you just as much or more by the time you are done. It's a worthwhile endeavor for those who wish to get some "hands-on", but for someone who just wants an accurate gun to start shooting, I'd suggest buying the DPMS - I bought two in .308 and they are tack drivers.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 04-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just buy the complete rifle. I bought 2 DPMS "sweet 16" and the 1 I've set up for yotes (topped with Burris 4.5x-14x-42mm) will put 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards with cheap factory ammo!!! You're not going to get much better than that. I DID install Jard single stage 1.5# triggers however, as well as free float tube & pistol grip of my choice. The 1s I got originally had the "clamshell" forends.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:33 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Perhaps others has had better service with Del-Ton but I got an order 1 week ago from where I'd paid for it wayyy back in november. That DON'T make me confident to order from them even if my order was backordered.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Whew...at first I thought that said EWOKhunter NWokhunter? Northwest?

If so, welcome neighbor. As far as the bull 16", the last Rose City gun show, they had the 16" all the way up to the 24" bull barrel uppers (DPMS) going for anywhere from $550 to $725. So $899 for the complete gun isn't that bad, considering the shape of things out there right now.

I just sold a DPMS 20" bull, FF tube, BCG & handle, plus complete DPMS lower for $1000, but I also gave him a couple mags, a used tact bag, and a bipod. Ok, so I'm a sucker? I'd rather think that I'm not trying to gouge anyone.

So the deals are out there. if that 16" feels right to you, then hey...what've you got to lose? At least you'll have something in your hands that you like, can use right away, and is yours. Assuming nothing drastic happens (from our current leadership), I'm hoping things calm down and prices will stabilize.

Will they ever get back to where they were? That depends on what the crazies decide to do with any kind of a ban on arms or ammo. So if you've got the time to piece it together, then the education and satisfaction that it brings can be worth it. IF you're afraid that a ban will hit before you can do that...then a full firearm might be just the ticket for that peace of mind.

The price you quoted for that gun wasn't bad. If you go that way, post some pics when you get it, and welcome to the club. If you decide to piece one together, welcome to the club, too, and you've come to the right place for assistance. Good luck either way, hope to see some pics soon.

Slo

Old 04-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #7

I'd buy it unless you plan on adding a bunch of your own aftermarket stuff. At this point "a bunch" would be everything but the upper and barrel and lower. Seems parts are more scarce than complete rilfes.

Along the same lines as Stalkingbear's experience, I am still waiting on a Model 1 upper ordered Dec. 13th.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 04-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Yeah, It seems like AR stuff is made out of unobtainium. Must be a new element.