Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Butt Stock and Buffer Tube M4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Butt Stock and Buffer Tube M4

Can you please share your preferences as to an M4 adjustable butt stock and buffer tube?

Don't want the skeleton type.
Want good quality.

I've read that there is a " reduced recoil" buffer tube? My wife will also be shooting this AR15.

tks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Mil spec tube w/ a MOE, CTR, or IMod. I have recently started using an A5 from VLTOR which is similar in performance to a fixed A2 but allows for adjustment like a normal M4 collapsible stock. It runs a 5.4oz buffer as default but they offer heavier buffers.

Don't waist your money on those hydraulic buffers.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I like the MOE butt stock. It comes with a pad attached to the stock that adds a bit more overall length and it doesn't slip from your shoulder.

Magpul and others also have aftermarket pads to install on the stocks as well.

There isn't much of a recoil from AR's.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
I like the MOE butt stock. It comes with a pad attached to the stock that adds a bit more overall length and it doesn't slip from your shoulder.

Magpul and others also have aftermarket pads to install on the stocks as well.

There isn't much of a recoil from AR's.
I'll never forget that first day at the range in Basic Training when the drill instructor placed the M16 squarely on his private parts and blasted off a 20-round mag. to prove to us there was no recoil.

I always wondered if he was wearing a cup!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
Can you please share your preferences as to an M4 adjustable butt stock and buffer tube?

Don't want the skeleton type.
Want good quality.

I've read that there is a " reduced recoil" buffer tube? My wife will also be shooting this AR15.

tks
I just went with a 6-position Mil-Spec. collapsible stock, which seems to work well for me. I added the rubber butt pad that is made for it that costs $6.00 and that brought it to 14" LOP when fully extended.

Here's a link with all kinds of different types. The Magpuls are really popular, but are a little too rich for my budget. If I ever find a gold mine in my backyard, I'll get a Magpull.

Stocks

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #6

SNAKEDRIVER:
We were only instructed with the M1 Garand: Many sore thumbs putting in that clip. It didn't happen to me, thankfully.

What's the advantage of MAGPUL?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:01 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
SNAKEDRIVER:
We were only instructed with the M1 Garand: Many sore thumbs putting in that clip. It didn't happen to me, thankfully.

What's the advantage of MAGPUL?
RC, Magpuls are a sturdy well-built products worthy of combat duty in the field.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #8

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
I'll never forget that first day at the range in Basic Training when the drill instructor placed the M16 squarely on his private parts and blasted off a 20-round mag. to prove to us there was no recoil.

I always wondered if he was wearing a cup!
Funny, my DI in basic fired off a few rounds like that with an M14. Surely he was wearing a cup!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #9

Liked 940 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 924

Quote:
...What's the advantage of MAGPUL?
As Snakedriver said, the MOE and CTR are sturdy and well built. I particularly like the CTR since it flat out won't rattle and comes with a QD sling mount.

As far as the receiver extension, I've been pleased with BCM's milspec tube and H buffer. The Vltor that mjkeat mentioned would be an excellent choice.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #10

Is it possible to stick to 2 or 3 suppliers for the AR15 parts without over paying too much?
Do the shipping minimums negate the savings of shopping around too much?
What is your strategy?
I love shopping on line but...

I hope I'm not asking too many questions.