Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Butt Stock and Buffer Tube M4 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/butt-stock-buffer-tube-m4-47209/)

rccalzadilla 08-22-2011 03:33 PM

Butt Stock and Buffer Tube M4
 
Can you please share your preferences as to an M4 adjustable butt stock and buffer tube?

Don't want the skeleton type.
Want good quality.

I've read that there is a " reduced recoil" buffer tube? My wife will also be shooting this AR15.

tks

mjkeat 08-22-2011 05:04 PM

Mil spec tube w/ a MOE, CTR, or IMod. I have recently started using an A5 from VLTOR which is similar in performance to a fixed A2 but allows for adjustment like a normal M4 collapsible stock. It runs a 5.4oz buffer as default but they offer heavier buffers.

Don't waist your money on those hydraulic buffers.

Car54 08-22-2011 05:17 PM

I like the MOE butt stock. It comes with a pad attached to the stock that adds a bit more overall length and it doesn't slip from your shoulder.

Magpul and others also have aftermarket pads to install on the stocks as well.

There isn't much of a recoil from AR's.

Snakedriver 08-22-2011 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Car54 (Post 567869)
I like the MOE butt stock. It comes with a pad attached to the stock that adds a bit more overall length and it doesn't slip from your shoulder.

Magpul and others also have aftermarket pads to install on the stocks as well.

There isn't much of a recoil from AR's.

I'll never forget that first day at the range in Basic Training when the drill instructor placed the M16 squarely on his private parts and blasted off a 20-round mag. to prove to us there was no recoil. :cool:

I always wondered if he was wearing a cup! :eek:

Snakedriver 08-22-2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccalzadilla (Post 567818)
Can you please share your preferences as to an M4 adjustable butt stock and buffer tube?

Don't want the skeleton type.
Want good quality.

I've read that there is a " reduced recoil" buffer tube? My wife will also be shooting this AR15.

tks

I just went with a 6-position Mil-Spec. collapsible stock, which seems to work well for me. I added the rubber butt pad that is made for it that costs $6.00 and that brought it to 14" LOP when fully extended.

Here's a link with all kinds of different types. The Magpuls are really popular, but are a little too rich for my budget. If I ever find a gold mine in my backyard, I'll get a Magpull.

Stocks

rccalzadilla 08-22-2011 07:56 PM

SNAKEDRIVER:
We were only instructed with the M1 Garand: Many sore thumbs putting in that clip. It didn't happen to me, thankfully.

What's the advantage of MAGPUL?

Snakedriver 08-22-2011 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccalzadilla (Post 567951)
SNAKEDRIVER:
We were only instructed with the M1 Garand: Many sore thumbs putting in that clip. It didn't happen to me, thankfully.

What's the advantage of MAGPUL?

RC, Magpuls are a sturdy well-built products worthy of combat duty in the field.

Quentin 08-22-2011 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snakedriver (Post 567912)
I'll never forget that first day at the range in Basic Training when the drill instructor placed the M16 squarely on his private parts and blasted off a 20-round mag. to prove to us there was no recoil. :cool:

I always wondered if he was wearing a cup! :eek:

Funny, my DI in basic fired off a few rounds like that with an M14. Surely he was wearing a cup! :p

Quentin 08-22-2011 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rccalzadilla (Post 567951)
...What's the advantage of MAGPUL?

As Snakedriver said, the MOE and CTR are sturdy and well built. I particularly like the CTR since it flat out won't rattle and comes with a QD sling mount.

As far as the receiver extension, I've been pleased with BCM's milspec tube and H buffer. The Vltor that mjkeat mentioned would be an excellent choice.

rccalzadilla 08-22-2011 08:48 PM

Is it possible to stick to 2 or 3 suppliers for the AR15 parts without over paying too much?
Do the shipping minimums negate the savings of shopping around too much?
What is your strategy?
I love shopping on line but...:rolleyes:

I hope I'm not asking too many questions.


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.