Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Butt Stock and Buffer Tube choice?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Butt Stock and Buffer Tube choice?

Is this good quality?:
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA for $44.95 at :
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA.

The specs sound good!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
Is this good quality?:
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA for $44.95 at :
UTG PRO 6-Position Mil-Spec Collapsible Stock Assembly Made in USA.

The specs sound good!
That's the one I've got and it seems every bit as solid as the Colt CAR-15's buttstock that I carried in Vietnam. I know in those days it wasn't composite material, but this thing you've listed isn't flimsy at all.
lower_05.jpg  

Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

personally i would just go with this - MAGPUL MOE Stock Kit Milspec - Black
My friend has one, and it is just great, good price too, but its up to you Good luck

Old 08-23-2011, 10:25 PM   #4

I know what I want but need input to choose. I want quality and don't mind paying more for real quality.

1-Want a flat top (Picatinny type), complete, receiver. Same manufacturer to be pretty sure of head space. Spike's Tactical seems to be all in back order and so does PSA.
2-Want an removable handle with A2 adjustable for windage and elevation. will add dot site in future.
3-Want chromed barrel and chamber for ease of cleaning.
4-16" barrel with 1/9" and some kind of, military looking, suppressor.

I'd like to choose and be ready for possible week end sales!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #5

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

That's a pretty good deal for the MOE kit! I can't comment on the UTG but one of our members had fitment problems months ago. Maybe they've improved their product since but I'm still wary of them.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

PSA isnt backordered that I know of. The do take a week to ship being that the kits are put together at time of order. PSA is a one stop shop for the parts you're needing.

I'd really reconsider the 1:9 barrel unless you have a real reason for it.

Muzzle device - an A2 birdcage works well.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #7

Liked 923 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccalzadilla View Post
...2-Want an removable handle with A2 adjustable for windage and elevation. will add dot site in future...
I love the look of a carry handle but since you're talking RDS in the future maybe a flipup rear sight like the MBUS would make more sense. Nothing wrong with having a spare CH though, I have at least 5!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
PSA isnt backordered that I know of. The do take a week to ship being that the kits are put together at time of order. PSA is a one stop shop for the parts you're needing.

I'd really reconsider the 1:9 barrel unless you have a real reason for it.

Muzzle device - an A2 birdcage works well.
Barrel twist of 1:9 it just because it's an in between size, since I really don't know any better.
My purpose is for target practice and hobby, for now.
What twist rate do you recommend?

Old 08-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #9

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1/9 is fine for most purposes. You'll probably be using 55 gr .223/5.56 ammo most of the time if not all the time. This twist will also allow you to use ammo grains into the 60's or down into the 40's and still have the bullet stabilized out of the barrel to your target.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:20 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car54 View Post
1/9 is fine for most purposes. You'll probably be using 55 gr .223/5.56 ammo most of the time if not all the time. This twist will also allow you to use ammo grains into the 60's or down into the 40's and still have the bullet stabilized out of the barrel to your target.
I agree, I know everyone says the more modern 1:7 twist AR barrels will work with the lighter and much more common bullets in the 55-62 grain weight, but my many years shooting all kinds of firearms tells me a 1:7 twist is too fast for light bullets. For the average shooter who isn't going to be shooting heavy bullets out to 500 yards 1:9 will work just fine.