But there is a problem: PSA & Plum Crazy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > But there is a problem: PSA & Plum Crazy

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,979
Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default But there is a problem: PSA & Plum Crazy

The shooting at the range today came to an abrupt halt when shooting some cheap Tul steel ammo. One of the cases has become stuck in the chamber. Pictures are below. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear this?

It looks somewhat wet from oil. That's actually the way the flash showed up.

2012-03-11_18-46-39_522.jpg   2012-03-11_18-47-21_390.jpg  
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sputnik1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Bluegrass state
Posts: 2,877
Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The shooting at the range today came to an abrupt halt when shooting some cheap Tul steel ammo. One of the cases has become stuck in the chamber. Pictures are below. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear this?

It looks somewhat wet from oil. That's actually the way the flash showed up.
Cleaning rod down the barrel? Though I'm sure you thought of that. I've had some bad luck with Tula ammo as well. But in 380s
__________________
sputnik1988 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
neilage66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FEMA,Region V
Posts: 630
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Assuming the extractor still has gription on the case, whilst pulling on the charging handle firmly, bang the buttstock on a hard surface (countertop, workbench, etc.) and it might bust loose.
Make sure your collapsible stock is full closed if you have one.
You might have to hit it multiple times and hit it pretty hard.

Otherwise you could tap a cleaning rod from the muzzle with a mallet in hopes of breaking it loose.

Good luck...it'll come.

__________________
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today...today is a gift.

Be Well.
neilage66 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
mjkeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wichita,Kansas
Posts: 4,026
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default

Cleaning rod like sput mentioned.

That AR is dry as hell. Did you lube it before shooting?

That's a lube issue not an ammunition problem.

__________________

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Last edited by mjkeat; 03-12-2012 at 02:09 AM.
mjkeat is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RMP1394-RLTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 110
Default

KICK START!!!!

Ryan...RLTW!

__________________
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Mala Malis Facimus
RMP1394-RLTW is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,657
Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilage66 View Post
Assuming the extractor still has gription on the case, whilst pulling on the charging handle firmly, bang the buttstock on a hard surface (countertop, workbench, etc.) and it might bust loose.
Make sure your collapsible stock is full closed if you have one.
You might have to hit it multiple times and hit it pretty hard.

Otherwise you could tap a cleaning rod from the muzzle with a mallet in hopes of breaking it loose.

Good luck...it'll come.
Scott, the above normally is excellent advice but I'd be afraid to mortar a polymer lower, too many pictures out there of broken receivers right at the receiver extension threads. I would go with the cleaning rod instead.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,979
Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Scott, the above normally is excellent advice but I'd be afraid to mortar a polymer lower, too many pictures out there of broken receivers right at the receiver extension threads. I would go with the cleaning rod instead.
Good point. Thanks.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ktmboyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Steep Falls,Maine
Posts: 1,210
Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

i recently purchased the Leatherman AR multi tool and it has a lever for prying open a stuck bolt. I was wondering if or when anyone would need something like that, I guess now i know. Good luck with that and hope it ends up ok for ya

__________________
ktmboyz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
neilage66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FEMA,Region V
Posts: 630
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Scott, the above normally is excellent advice but I'd be afraid to mortar a polymer lower, too many pictures out there of broken receivers right at the receiver extension threads. I would go with the cleaning rod instead.
Good catch Quentin, I was overlooking the PlumCrazy lower somehow.

*In theory* it should be able to take the blow, but if a cleaning rod clears it...why chance it?
__________________
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today...today is a gift.

Be Well.
neilage66 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
oldpapps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Middle America,Missouri
Posts: 173
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default

With the charging handle held unlatched, tap (don't bang) several light taps with a plastic/leather mallet. Be very gentile, most charging handles are aluminum. If you can hold everything up, the butt need not be supported.
I don't like the idea of having to drive a case out from the muzzle. But if the extractor is popped or the case rim is ripped, that may be the way out

__________________

Enjoy,

OSOK

oldpapps is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Range Report: PSA & Plum Crazy ScottA AR-15 Discussion 11 03-13-2012 08:36 AM
PSA & Plum Crazy weight ScottA AR-15 Discussion 4 03-02-2012 09:46 PM
PSA meet Plum Crazy ScottA AR-15 Discussion 43 02-26-2012 03:19 PM
Plum crazy lower for a 6.8 spc ar-15. Ozz2g General Rifle Discussion 6 02-22-2012 06:27 AM
Plum Crazy JTJ AR-15 Discussion 6 12-04-2010 12:25 PM