Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   But there is a problem: PSA & Plum Crazy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/but-there-problem-psa-plum-crazy-60005/)

ScottA 03-12-2012 12:05 AM

But there is a problem: PSA & Plum Crazy

2 Attachment(s)
The shooting at the range today came to an abrupt halt when shooting some cheap Tul steel ammo. One of the cases has become stuck in the chamber. Pictures are below. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear this?

It looks somewhat wet from oil. That's actually the way the flash showed up.

sputnik1988 03-12-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScottA (Post 737125)
The shooting at the range today came to an abrupt halt when shooting some cheap Tul steel ammo. One of the cases has become stuck in the chamber. Pictures are below. Anyone have any suggestions on how to clear this?

It looks somewhat wet from oil. That's actually the way the flash showed up.

Cleaning rod down the barrel? Though I'm sure you thought of that. I've had some bad luck with Tula ammo as well. But in 380s

neilage66 03-12-2012 12:54 AM

Assuming the extractor still has gription on the case, whilst pulling on the charging handle firmly, bang the buttstock on a hard surface (countertop, workbench, etc.) and it might bust loose.
Make sure your collapsible stock is full closed if you have one.
You might have to hit it multiple times and hit it pretty hard.

Otherwise you could tap a cleaning rod from the muzzle with a mallet in hopes of breaking it loose.

Good luck...it'll come.

mjkeat 03-12-2012 12:54 AM

Cleaning rod like sput mentioned.

That AR is dry as hell. Did you lube it before shooting?

That's a lube issue not an ammunition problem.

RMP1394-RLTW 03-12-2012 12:55 AM

KICK START!!!!

Ryan...RLTW!

Quentin 03-12-2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilage66 (Post 737176)
Assuming the extractor still has gription on the case, whilst pulling on the charging handle firmly, bang the buttstock on a hard surface (countertop, workbench, etc.) and it might bust loose.
Make sure your collapsible stock is full closed if you have one.
You might have to hit it multiple times and hit it pretty hard.

Otherwise you could tap a cleaning rod from the muzzle with a mallet in hopes of breaking it loose.

Good luck...it'll come.

Scott, the above normally is excellent advice but I'd be afraid to mortar a polymer lower, too many pictures out there of broken receivers right at the receiver extension threads. I would go with the cleaning rod instead.

ScottA 03-12-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 737193)
Scott, the above normally is excellent advice but I'd be afraid to mortar a polymer lower, too many pictures out there of broken receivers right at the receiver extension threads. I would go with the cleaning rod instead.

Good point. Thanks.

ktmboyz 03-12-2012 01:43 AM

i recently purchased the Leatherman AR multi tool and it has a lever for prying open a stuck bolt. I was wondering if or when anyone would need something like that, I guess now i know. Good luck with that and hope it ends up ok for ya

neilage66 03-12-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quentin (Post 737193)

Good catch Quentin, I was overlooking the PlumCrazy lower somehow.

*In theory* it should be able to take the blow, but if a cleaning rod clears it...why chance it?

oldpapps 03-12-2012 06:25 PM

With the charging handle held unlatched, tap (don't bang) several light taps with a plastic/leather mallet. Be very gentile, most charging handles are aluminum. If you can hold everything up, the butt need not be supported.
I don't like the idea of having to drive a case out from the muzzle. But if the extractor is popped or the case rim is ripped, that may be the way out :(