Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > But I Want a Gas Piston System

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default But I Want a Gas Piston System

So, I got a buddy who wants me to sell his SHTF upper for him because he has to have a new piston AR.

Why?

Because he has more money than sense & he has to be on the bleeding edge of technology no matter what it is.

So, I have been doing some research for him, because he has more money than firearm's knowledge as well.

So, after doing some reading, some comparing and taking a short drive to a store that had one, I found this kit that is pretty damn impressive actually.

AR-15 Gas Piston Systems

This kit is pretty slick because just about anyone can install/remove this kit in just 10 or so minutes once you know what you are doing.

It comes with a replacement bolt carrier, and you do need to do is put your chosen bolt head in place ( in case you were shooting 7.62 x 39mm for example ).

The gas interface system bolts onto the barrel, underneath the handguard, and then the piston goes through a hole in the upper and mates up against the new included bolt carrier that has a nice flat surface in place of the gas tube interface.

This is impressive because a lot of the kits have a "bolt on" piece that you replace with your bolt carrier. With a lot of hammering of sustained fire, an improperly staked piece could come loose and fail.

The kit costs like $400 ( your local prices may vary ) but if you absolutely HAVE to have a piston system, this kit is well made and will allow you as an end user to upgrade your existing AR upper without much trouble at all.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I actually just recently stumbled upon this system too
seems like they took care of the carrier tilt problem that a lot of the other piston systems seem to have as well
now only if i could get some quick cash and win the lottery...

"If guns cause crime then all of mine are defective." -Ted Nugent

Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm running a CMMG piston upper that is very similar to the AA setup. I was in the "have to have it" group mainly because of the performance of my Bushy AR. I figured gas piston would solve all my problems. It does solve the problems my Bushy has, however it comes with some of it's own. I have some serious carrier tilt issues, lots of aluminum shavings in the lower after shooting. I'm seeing some rapid wear in the upper where the cam pin contacts the inside of the upper as it slides back during the ejection cycle. I hear about lots of people that don't seem to have any of these issues, but as is usual for me, I'm not in that group.

FWIW, none of the reputable kits still use the bolt on piston key, they all have gone to a one piece carrier for exactly the reasons you mentioned.

Also, if you do your homework, you can find the AA kit for under $300.
Rainier Arms.

Last edited by russ; 05-04-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: link added

Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 AM   #4

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hey Russ - How is your accuracy with the piston system?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #6

Liked 929 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 908

Hope the Adams Arms piston conversion works out well. In addition to the features mentioned it's a mature product that's been around longer than most and has more market penetration. Hopefully that means parts will be available for a long time.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:45 AM   #7

Default piston

Very similar to the sks system......IMHO If carrier tilt is an issue or not I think a harder bolt( chrome lined or titanium coated bcg) would contribute to wear. It might help to keep the bolt corridor or whatever the correct terminology is...well lubed. Just my .02

Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Hey Russ - How is your accuracy with the piston system?
Seems OK, but honestly I don't have a good frame of reference. This is only my second AR and my other is a 20" heavy barrel varmint type gun. This is an M4 profile that probably will never see a bench and a sand bag. So far it is as good as I am at least. I will say that it has noticeably more recoil than a comparable DI gun. So follow up shots are not quite as easy.

I've made myself an "anti-tilt" buffer to try out. I'll see if that helps any. I also ordered a roller cam pin from POF to help combat the wear in the upper receiver.

Last edited by russ; 05-04-2010 at 03:44 AM.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:50 AM   #9

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
So, after doing some reading, some comparing and taking a short drive to a store that had one, I found this kit that is pretty damn impressive actually.

AR-15 Gas Piston Systems

JD
Things that make you go hmmmm......

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Carrier tilt and receiver wear seems to be a problem with most piston driven uppers. I would wait a while until manufacturers find a way to overcome the problem before buying one.