Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster XM-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK View Post
You should have asked them to correct the out of spec chamber.

$800 is a good amount of money. You can do better in that price range.
would you happen to know what the spec/range should be. i'll have someone check it. this is my only rifle and its all i have right now. i cant afford for this thing to fail on me.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #12

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

A good gunsmith will have the proper gauge and maybe even have the reamer.

Old 04-29-2012, 05:39 AM   #13

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbertjm View Post
i've had mine for two years now. there warranty dept was great. how do i know this, because ignorance forced me to send it in, or quality of the weapon, i dont know, somebody please tell me. I used an ammonia based cleaner a few times on my AR, the finish in the chamber and the upper receiver started to peel away like a cheap paint job on a car. i was using steel cased ammo also. i got a shell casing stuck in the chamber. i had to send it in for repair to get it out. when i got it back, a few days later, bushmaster sent out a notice not to use ammonia based cleaners. so anyways, ever since i got it back, i've used nothing but lake city brass and i have had not one issue with the weapon. not one failure to eject, misfire or anything. I've put just under one thousand through it, so i have a long way to go before i can say its a great weapon, but so far its been great besides my little issue. accuracy is what to expect with a 14 inch barrel, and a 1:9 twist
Sounds like two issues. You may have stripped away the dry film coating some ARs have in the upper receiver. I know ArmaLite sometimes has this issue, don't know about BM. Anyway, if that's what's going on, no worries it's cosmetic.

Steel case sticking in the chamber is a problem many rilfes have. Like Mike said an out of spec chamber is the likely culprit.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #14

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One other thing? If you do go get it checked by a gunsmith? Make certain he doesn't try to use a .223 gauge on a 5.56 barrel. It can give false readings. (So I've read and been told.)

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20042 Times on 11397 Posts
Likes Given: 50561

i have had my Bushmaster XM-15 for about two years now and was manufactered in 2005. so far have not had any issues come up and has functioned perfectly. so far, so good! trigger is a little heavier than i like, but as it's not a target rifle, i may or may not change it sometime in the future. mine also has the A2 style upper and i bought an A2 style scope mount for when i want to use the red dot scope on it. all in all, it's fun to shoot. some may bash me for buying mine, it being a Bushmaster, and that i could have built a much better one by building one. well my reasoning was and is, at the time, i wanted one, it was in great condition, was in the configuration i wanted, the price was acceptable to me, and i didn't really want to build one at the time. i wanted one fairly stock to learn and shoot with, to find out what i wanted before building one. so mine has fulfilled all it was intended to do. i have learned, and found out what i want the next one to be now. so it has proved to be an excellent learning tool.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #16

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i have had my Bushmaster XM-15 for about two years now and was manufactered in 2005. so far have not had any issues come up and has functioned perfectly. so far, so good! trigger is a little heavier than i like, but as it's not a target rifle, i may or may not change it sometime in the future. mine also has the A2 style upper and i bought an A2 style scope mount for when i want to use the red dot scope on it. all in all, it's fun to shoot. some may bash me for buying mine, it being a Bushmaster, and that i could have built a much better one by building one. well my reasoning was and is, at the time, i wanted one, it was in great condition, was in the configuration i wanted, the price was acceptable to me, and i didn't really want to build one at the time. i wanted one fairly stock to learn and shoot with, to find out what i wanted before building one. so mine has fulfilled all it was intended to do. i have learned, and found out what i want the next one to be now. so it has proved to be an excellent learning tool.
But knowing what you know now would you make the same purchase today? Knowing that you could get PSA or Spikes for the same price as Bushmaster or BCM for very little more? Things change and that's what's really important for the new guy today. I would never tell someone to buy something just because I bought it. (Not singling you out.) I recommend what my research says is the best buy today. My friends always come to me for advice on guns, TVs, Blu-rays, computers, you name it, because I usually point them in the right direction.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #17
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20042 Times on 11397 Posts
Likes Given: 50561

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
But knowing what you know now would you make the same purchase today? Knowing that you could get PSA or Spikes for the same price as Bushmaster or BCM for very little more? Things change and that's what's really important for the new guy today. I would never tell someone to buy something just because I bought it. (Not singling you out.) I recommend what my research says is the best buy today. My friends always come to me for advice on guns, TVs, Blu-rays, computers, you name it, because I usually point them in the right direction.
Quentin, it depends. as i too have heard that the newer Bushmasters have slipped in quality compared to the older ones since the move to the New York plant, but i would reserve any judgement on that until i was able to examine one in person. i am not falling for internet myths and rumours, as i would rather see for myself in person, to make a decision. knowing what i know now, quite possibly i would still buy the one i did based on the what i can look at and examine in person. but, in my area, you just don't see the PSA, Spikes or the BCM's, so i can't truly make a comparison on what i don't have any hands on experiance with. the brands mostly encountered in my area, RRA, Bushmaster, Colt, DelTon, DPMS, Ruger, and Remington. when i made my final decision, it came down to the Bushmaster and a RRA that was similar. i really liked both, but went with the Bushmaster because it being lightly used had a lower price than the new RRA. knowing what i know now, i still have no regrets on my purchase, so i can say that quite possibly i would make the same purchase as the one i did.