Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bushmaster XM-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bushmaster-xm-15-a-63413/)

Dwood 04-28-2012 12:23 AM

Bushmaster XM-15

What do u guys think about a bushmaster xm15 .223 caliber AR?

HockaLouis 04-28-2012 12:39 AM

Nice. Trigger wants breaking in.

robocop10mm 04-28-2012 01:38 AM

I was a Colt snob til I got a 20" HB Bushy. Breaking it in, it shot a 100 yard 60 shot group that you could cover with a quarter. That is two full mags into less than an inch at 100! She's a shooter and now wears 3-9 X 40 glass. It is my DMR rifle. If I can see you, I can hit you

MikeJK 04-28-2012 02:16 AM

I guess it all depends on how you want to shoot and what you expect out of your AR. What are your needs and what are your expectations? The cost of the AR makes a difference as well. Personally w/ their current reputation I wouldn't purchase one. It's just not worth the money or possible headache. Chances are there is an AR out there of higher quality in the same price range. Id almost be willing to bet on it.

sputnik1988 04-28-2012 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeJK (Post 784107)
I guess it all depends on how you want to shoot and what you expect out of your AR. What are your needs and what are your expectations? The cost of the AR makes a difference as well. Personally w/ their current reputation I wouldn't purchase one. It's just not worth the money or possible headache. Chances are there is an AR out there of higher quality in the same price range. Id almost be willing to bet on it.

Agreed, you can build a higher quality rifle for less money, I asked the exact same question awhile back and believe me, these guys set the record straight.

Check out Palmetto State Armory. Bushmaster sold out, layed off all the workers and moved to NY. The old bushmasters are nice, as are some of the new ones, but its hit or miss.

Other brands to look at are Colt, BCM and Daniel Defense, but they cost more. As I said before, look at PSA.

Tackleberry1 04-28-2012 02:31 AM

Don't know about the "current reputation" thing but I bought the same Bushy 8 Years ago and put rouglly 10k rounds through it before having a problems. Problem turned out to be simple. It needed new gas rings.

The trigger is a typical 2 stage 9 lb mil spec. I installed a drop I'm unitfr chip mccormic and it's now better than my deep rifle. 8k rounds on that trigger and still going strong.

Tack

talbertjm 04-28-2012 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwood (Post 784003)
What do u guys think about a bushmaster xm15 .223 caliber AR?

i've had mine for two years now. there warranty dept was great. how do i know this, because ignorance forced me to send it in, or quality of the weapon, i dont know, somebody please tell me. I used an ammonia based cleaner a few times on my AR, the finish in the chamber and the upper receiver started to peel away like a cheap paint job on a car. i was using steel cased ammo also. i got a shell casing stuck in the chamber. i had to send it in for repair to get it out. when i got it back, a few days later, bushmaster sent out a notice not to use ammonia based cleaners. so anyways, ever since i got it back, i've used nothing but lake city brass and i have had not one issue with the weapon. not one failure to eject, misfire or anything. I've put just under one thousand through it, so i have a long way to go before i can say its a great weapon, but so far its been great besides my little issue. accuracy is what to expect with a 14 inch barrel, and a 1:9 twist

Quentin 04-28-2012 04:47 AM

You've really got to provide more info on your uses and budget. Do you have a link to the configuration you're buying? If you're into the $900 range I think you can do better.

Dwood 04-28-2012 12:45 PM

It's from a place called dunhams sports and it is 799 just gonna use it for target practice

MikeJK 04-28-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talbertjm (Post 784127)
i've had mine for two years now. there warranty dept was great. how do i know this, because ignorance forced me to send it in, or quality of the weapon, i dont know, somebody please tell me. I used an ammonia based cleaner a few times on my AR, the finish in the chamber and the upper receiver started to peel away like a cheap paint job on a car. i was using steel cased ammo also. i got a shell casing stuck in the chamber. i had to send it in for repair to get it out. when i got it back, a few days later, bushmaster sent out a notice not to use ammonia based cleaners. so anyways, ever since i got it back, i've used nothing but lake city brass and i have had not one issue with the weapon. not one failure to eject, misfire or anything. I've put just under one thousand through it, so i have a long way to go before i can say its a great weapon, but so far its been great besides my little issue. accuracy is what to expect with a 14 inch barrel, and a 1:9 twist

You should have asked them to correct the out of spec chamber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwood (Post 784414)
It's from a place called dunhams sports and it is 799 just gonna use it for target practice

$800 is a good amount of money. You can do better in that price range.