Bushmaster VS Colt
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster VS Colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushmaster VS Colt

Hey I am not trying to start WW III here. I did however purchase a BM and everything I read is Colt Colt Colt. What is the real difference here, seriously. Please educate me, no BS please. Just the facts. What make a Colt so great. Thanks for your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Their "Big Pins"!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #3

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

And this;

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

What does BM do better than Colt?

Old 04-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #5

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

A Bushmaster is a commercial grade AR that should do ok for its average civilian owner. But some people kick in a little more money to get a professional grade weapon that's better suited for hard use. Take a look at what BCM goes through to build a fine AR that is roughly equivalent to Colt.
BCM Stuff... - M4Carbine.net Forums

Now go to Bushmaster and try to find their specs. Unfortunately they do cut corners. In fact here's a dealer who corrects some problems that can be dealt with quickly for Bushmasters he sells to LEOs:
A day in the life of a BM LE Dealer - M4Carbine.net Forums

ETA:
And from your other thread it sounds like you're having problems with your Bushmaster.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/new-bushmaster-issues-40510/

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 04-03-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5670 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What does BM do better than Colt?
Its cheaper and they function just fines with a wider array of optons. I'm a colt fan but I don't care for their current AR configs. I've got a lot of rock river arms and dpms stuff. I preffer the rra it seems to be a bit higher quality in finish.

Personally I'm not a fan of staked castle nuts as I like to detail strip the lower every 1-2000 rounds for a deep cleaning and inspection and swapping out stocks quickly. If you care just take a sharpie or nail polish and mark em then a quick glance will tell if they loosened.

Gas keys don't need to be staked if you do frequent inspections and aren't running a selectfire rifle.

The blue ejector pad is just fine for any application including full auto if you don't run the gun to failure.

The buffer is only critical if your again running a select fire rifle. Semi auto it really doesn't matter as even bump firing doesn't cycle fast enough to be an issue.

The main diff is the colt has a higher quality finish they look a lot better. If you don't mind the higher cost and only care about cosmetics can't beat a colt. My sp1 from colt is a very reliable and pretty rifle. Bbut then my wife's dpms m4 is very reliable but not so pretty.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 04-02-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:36 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Its cheaper and they function just fines with a wider array of optons. I'm a colt fan but I don't care for their current AR configs. I've got a lot of rock river arms and dpms stuff. I preffer the rra it seems to be a bit higher quality in finish.

Personally I'm not a fan of staked castle nuts as I like to detail strip the lower every 1-2000 rounds for a deep cleaning and inspection and swapping out stocks quickly. If you care just take a sharpie or nail polish and mark em then a quick glance will tell if they loosened.

Gas keys don't need to be staked if you do frequent inspections and aren't running a selectfire rifle.

The blue ejector pad is just fine for any application including full auto if you don't run the gun to failure.

The buffer is only critical if your again running a select fire rifle. Semi auto it really doesn't matter as even bump firing doesn't cycle fast enough to be an issue.

The main diff is the colt has a higher quality finish they look a lot better. If you don't mind the higher cost and only care about cosmetics can't beat a colt. My sp1 from colt is a very reliable and pretty rifle. Bbut then my wife's dpms m4 is very reliable but not so pretty.
I guess its all in the needs of the end user. What Quentin said fairly much sums it up. Check the specs side by side. You'll quickly notice the difference.

Theres def a difference b/w the two manufacturers and its way more than cosmetics.

I'm a fan of rock solid, reliable firearms. I don't want my buffer extension coming loose on me. I shouldn't have to worry about my gas key loosening and causing malfunctions. I don't want to have to carry around a torque wrench in case it does. Why should I have to constantly perform maintenance on my rifles.

Buffers do come into play on semi auto rifles. I can change around buffers and my ARs will shoot totally different. The right buffer can make a huge difference in the performance of an AR.

BM does offer a crap ton more options over Colt.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Most of this is moot if you already own an AR, make the upgrades that make sense to you and if it does the job be happy with what you've got. However for anyone buying a new AR it's smart to look at the differences. You just don't need to pay much more for extra attention to detail.

I don't get enjoyment trashing certain brands but after all the research I've done over the last couple years I also can't recommend certain brands. Actually an intelligent AR build using quality parts beats most factory rifles anyway. But I'm just one individual and have my own perspective and biases. As usual, YMMV.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5670 Times on 2961 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I guess its all in the needs of the end user. What Quentin said fairly much sums it up. Check the specs side by side. You'll quickly notice the difference.

Theres def a difference b/w the two manufacturers and its way more than cosmetics.

I'm a fan of rock solid, reliable firearms. I don't want my buffer extension coming loose on me. I shouldn't have to worry about my gas key loosening and causing malfunctions. I don't want to have to carry around a torque wrench in case it does. Why should I have to constantly perform maintenance on my rifles.

Buffers do come into play on semi auto rifles. I can change around buffers and my ARs will shoot totally different. The right buffer can make a huge difference in the performance of an AR.

BM does offer a crap ton more options over Colt.
thats it exactly its a matter of whether or not the differences matter enough to you to pay the higher price point. but basic models like bottem end dpms and bushmasters arent junk its just a matter do you really care or not. 999 out of a 1000 peeps wont have any issues with those for years.

ive got really well built ARs and lower end. they all shoot about the same.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

"Shoot the same" is such a vague statement. It depends on how you're shooting. Some rifles handle certain shooting styles better than others. As you progress up the latter you start to see devision b/w the manufacturers.