Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushmaster Question

First I know very little about the AR type rifle. However, now I think I "need" one. I know they can be made to shoot very well. I'm basically a target shooter/varmint hunter. I saw a Bushmaster VR SS Varmint Special in .223. Is this a good place to start? The dealer said this version is capable of less than 1 MOA out of the box. Has anyone had any experience with this gun? Is it a qualilty weapon or should I be looking at sopmething else.
Thanks,
OtH

Last edited by Over-the-Hill; 04-17-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2010, 06:08 AM   #2

Liked 3676 Times on 1812 Posts
Likes Given: 1000

I've owned a Bushmaster M4 for 6 years and found the quality to be just fine. There are more expensive AR's out there but I think the Bushy's are one of the best values you'll find in an AR from a major manufacturer.

Recently picked up a second upper reciever from J&S out of Olympia WA. Complete package with 20" free floated heavy barrel and it shoots better than 1 MOA.

I carried A2's for 6 years of Infantry service and the AR is still my favorite rifle platform.

One word of caution. I started with an $800 dollar rifle that I'm now into for over $2400.00 in optics and modifications. The amount of money you can spend customizing these things is restricted only by your bugdet and imagination so be prepared.

Tack

Old 04-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot a Bushmaster V-Match and will put it up against any firearm on the market today. I'm not saying that my Bushy is the best of the rest because I've shot many other AR style firearms that were equally capable. Mine just happens to be a Bushmaster.

When it comes to firearms, you normally get what you pay for.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. Nothing negative yet. That's good.
OtH

Old 04-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #5

Liked 4450 Times on 2348 Posts
Likes Given: 254

i have a bushmaster m4 in my collection of AR's which include a SR556, 458socom from RRA, a colt SP1, and a .45acp upper from olympic. the bushmaster works just as well as any of those no issues.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had a Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC for a couple years now. I have accessorized it a bit with a JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer and Springs, plus added a DPMS Carbine Length Aluminum Free Float Tube, a DPMS Levang Linear Compensator (in place of the A2 Flash Hider), Badger Tactical Charging Handle Latch and a CAA G-27 Finger Groove Pistol grip.

I also have a DPMS Panther Bull 20 with a JP Enterprises Adjustable Trigger, Speed Hammer and Springs, Badger Tactical Charging Handle Latch and a CAA G-27 Finger Groove Pistol grip.

All in all I can not see a lot of difference between these two AR's. If I am going to be shooting from a solid rested postion I prefer the DPMS, but if I am using one for work or calling Coyotes I prefer the Bushmaster. This is a case of size and weight and nothing to do with the quality, performance or accuracy of each individual AR.

My Bushmaster 16" M4 ORC will consistantly shoot MOA or better groups with a 1.5x4.5x32mm Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly Riflescope on it, while the DPMS with the same ammo will consistantly shoot sub 3/4 MOA or better groups with a Bushnell Elite 3200 4x12x40mm AO Riflescope.

Larry

Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #7

Bushmaster makes a great frrearm, I have one as well and have had zero issues. Of course I have others and have no issues with any of them. You'll find some bashers on the other forums. Many of the complaints have no basis. One of the great truths out there is that people will come to these forums to complain about a product and will usually outnumber those with praise 10 to 1...sqeeky wheel and all ...Bushmaster is made up of Quality Parts...pun intended...now that's very dry...

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM   #8

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

I have a Bushmaster A2 DCM. I bought it when Clinton took office. Bill that is. I can say don't use polymer steel case ammo. I shot some. Gave a quick clean and a week later had this mold looking substance lining my chrome barrel. It was the residue left that grew because of the bore cleaner I use. Other wise after 16+ years, no issues and it is a tack driver for a 1:9 barrel.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a Bushy Predator upper on a CMMG lower that I built. It is a tight chambered upper and is a little ammo picky (no steel cases) and needs to be cleaned about every 100-150 rounds or it starts to gum up. That said, it wasn't intended to be a spray and pray setup running hundreds of rounds through in a day. It is very accurate (more than it's owner) and has no trouble ringing the 8" gong at 300 yards. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bushmaster.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #10

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think you should check in with Tango, the FTF whistle pig whacker and the building of Mörder der Grundschweine:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/ok-looking-new-ar-15-a-21724/index3.html#post207114

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/rras-first-time-range-24836/#post251749

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/updated-ar-25227/#post258243

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello