Bushmaster Patrolman questions - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Patrolman questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Yeah it would be real annoying to spend xxxx ($1200 list price, no doubt they go lower) on the A3 Bushmaster then find that it comes with a commercial tube, non- H buffer, improper extractor, non tested BCG and barrel, short FSB and improper gas keys and staking. (My buddy's 2008 BM does not have M4 feed ramps either.) For about that price point a Colt, BCM or Daniel Defense wouldn't have those issues.
BM go for much, much less than Colts and DD's in my neck of the woods. Gun Zone down in Clackamas OR has 6 BM on the rack, all BM version of the M4 and supposedly Mil Spec on sale for $799.00

A buddy just picked up his new DD for $1200. The DD did have a few nice touches like the quad rail and DD rear sight but that's only $150 of the $400 difference.

Not saying it's not worth it but for the guy looking for his first AR plinker and just wants to slap on an optic and go...he can get a BM and his optic for the cost of a DD or Colt.

Tack

Old 02-12-2012, 10:49 PM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
BM go for much, much less than Colts and DD's in my neck of the woods. Gun Zone down in Clackamas OR has 6 BM on the rack, all BM version of the M4 and supposedly Mil Spec on sale for $799.00

A buddy just picked up his new DD for $1200. The DD did have a few nice touches like the quad rail and DD rear sight but that's only $150 of the $400 difference.

Not saying it's not worth it but for the guy looking for his first AR plinker and just wants to slap on an optic and go...he can get a BM and his optic for the cost of a DD or Colt.

Tack
The DD is more expensive but like you said you get a lot more for the money. The read sight and rail are worth roughly $350 to $400 alone. You're getting way more value w/ the DD

Now Colt is sub 1K, $200 more than BM. And again way more value.

A BCM will run you roughly $920 w/ Magpul furniture. BCM is the best value other than DD on the market today.

Add that all three mentioned are made from better materials, are assembled and tested properly w/ great attention to detail, provide awesome QC CS (Colt iffy), and it's not luck to get a "good" one.

Look at PSA. FN hammer forged barrels for less than BM.

Much more to it then price.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Tack
And let's don't forget one of our favorite subjects at this forum, building your own AR. I was able to find good prices on a DD LW midlength upper with DD BCG and charging handle for around $520 with free shipping. Then got a DD LPK, BCM M4 receiver/stock/H-buffer and S&W stripped lower for about $300. Add an MBUS, sling, magazine and a little shipping and it came in around $900.

So $800 for an off the rack Bushmaster or for an extra $100 and some thought you can build the AR you really wanted. Which is what it's really about - get the rifle you really want.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-13-2012, 02:20 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 37

If you want a quality BM like pre 06/07 when they sold out then get a Windham weaponry AR. The original owner and employees re opened and started making rifles of their original quality with a few improvements.

A local LE friend got 20+ BM rifles last year and has sent over half of them back for various issues, loose barrel nuts, wont cycle ect ect. Late model BM rifles = pos older ones were great and I would be proud to own one.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #35

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Honestly, I had never heard of Palmetto State armory before I started this thread, so i checked their website with a friend, he is building an AR and had ordered a Bushmaster parts kit, but it was on backorder. After seeing the prices and quality of PSA, he immediately scrapped the BM plan and ordered a PSA kit and saved a chunk of change in the process

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 02-13-2012, 05:17 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1158 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 1180

Glad you looked at other ARs Sputnik...
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 02-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #37

Liked 717 Times on 468 Posts
Likes Given: 1952

Quote:
Glad you looked at other ARs Sputnik...
Me too ,like I said before, my Dad has had a Bushmaster target model since the late 90's and It's great, I never knew about the slippage of quality recently, or the layoff. I've made up my mind that a Palmetto State Armory AR is in my near future. A better rifle for less money, its a no-brainer for me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

كافر

Old 02-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #38

I have the Bushmaster M4A3 in 5.56mm, nothing but praise for the gun. Although I haven't shot but 1500-2000 rounds thru it, I have experenced no problems whatsoever. Extremely accurate, tight, trigger could be better but as finances become available I will update that. IMO great starter AR. I have no plans to purchase any other brand at this time. Why should I? It came from Wal-mart for $899.00, ammo there is $149 for 420 rounds Fed 62grain FMJ in metal ammo can.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #39

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigpro2022 View Post
I have the Bushmaster M4A3 in 5.56mm, nothing but praise for the gun. Although I haven't shot but 1500-2000 rounds thru it, I have experenced no problems whatsoever. Extremely accurate, tight, trigger could be better but as finances become available I will update that. IMO great starter AR. I have no plans to purchase any other brand at this time. Why should I? It came from Wal-mart for $899.00, ammo there is $149 for 420 rounds Fed 62grain FMJ in metal ammo can.
$899 could have bought you something of higher quality that wouldn't have needed the trigger replaced.

I know it's to late fore you but felt inecessaryry to comment for those who might read your post and rush down to their local WalMart.

I'm glad WalMart is selling ARs but they should be stocking PSAs. PSA would have to step up production something fierce but it would be better for supplier and consumer.

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #40

Liked 1151 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 2041

Hell , atleast your walmarts sell guns , Ours up here in central IL dont even offer a gun . Just ammo and it seems as though their ammo gets depleted ites not getting replaced , I have bought over 1000 rds of Tula from them. They had 8 boxes left 2 weeks ago and I bought them all .went back this past weekend and the Tula ammo slot was still empty .