Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Patrolman questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

I have a BM rifle (20") and it shoots incredibly good groups. We have about 30 BM carbines in inventory. The main problem hs been the gas keys. They are not staked in properly and get loose.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have a BM rifle (20") and it shoots incredibly good groups. We have about 30 BM carbines in inventory. The main problem hs been the gas keys. They are not staked in properly and get loose.
The number one reason why these types of ARs receive such a bad name. Corners being cut to increase profit margins because they know most to the people that purchase a BM won't know the difference or shoot enough for their half-ass job to become a problem. And people keep falling for their tricks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMarine View Post
I still really don't get why people hate on bm so much. Just cause they made a couple crap guns doesn't mean they're a bad gunmaker. Ill bet you can buy any bm except a carbon 15 and have no problems with it. I mean did you really expect a good ar based on an idea like that? It was kinda doomed from the start if you ask me. I don't care if armalite made it themselves, id be absolutely astonished if it was better. All in all don't hate on bm, for crying out loud the military trusts them making 30mm automatic cannons. Id think they can make an ok rifle.

Never Forget.
See above post and reply.

Even if the 30mm was produced by BM how would that lead you to believe their ARs would be quality? Two different markets.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2012, 06:33 AM   #13

Whatever, I'm just bored of people always hating on em. With a little love they shoot great for me. Just DCOA em real quick, make sure its all nice an tight and poof, great gun. (I have two BMs, one I got 3 months ago, the other, 3 years) By the way MJ, do you even own a bm? If not how are you talking about them like you are? If you do, well mabye you should take the time to take real care of it as well as getting to know about how to fix its little quirks. And finally in regard to the 30mm, so what if they don't make it for the military. They designed the friggin thing. That should demand respect enough, or can you design and build one?

Never Forget.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #14
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 671 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 1803

Wow, with criticism like this, I had to double-check to make sure I didnt accidentally post this in the AK forum.

It was my understanding that Freedom Arms owns Bushmaster, Remington, Stag, DPMS and a handful of others and the parts are made to the same specs, with some being made in the same facility?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 02-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Whatever, I'm just bored of people always hating on em. With a little love they shoot great for me. Just DCOA em real quick, make sure its all nice an tight and poof, great gun. (I have two BMs, one I got 3 months ago, the other, 3 years) By the way MJ, do you even own a bm? If not how are you talking about them like you are? If you do, well mabye you should take the time to take real care of it as well as getting to know about how to fix its little quirks. And finally in regard to the 30mm, so what if they don't make it for the military. They designed the friggin thing. That should demand respect enough, or can you design and build one?

Never Forget.
Once again what does the 30mm have to do w/ their ability to produce an AR?

Time of ownership proves nothing.

You shouldn't have to learn to deal w/ tquirkserks" of a firearm when there are high quality ones available for a similar price.

When I pull it out of the box I want to lube and go. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to.

What's ownership have to do w/ knowing the quality of the BM? How did you learn about history? Did you travel back in time or did you study it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post
Wow, with criticism like this, I had to double-check to make sure I didnt accidentally post this in the AK forum.

It was my understanding that Freedom Arms owns Bushmaster, Remington, Stag, DPMS and a handful of others and the parts are made to the same specs, with some being made in the same facility?
Good example of the cormer cutting I mentioned before when It comes to ARs.

______

A funny fact. I just did a spell check and for "BM" it suggested the spelling "Bums". LOL

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #16
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

So what you are saying is that not only is BM junk, so is Remington, Stag DPMS and half of the other AR15s on the market?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 AM   #17

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988 View Post

So what you are saying is that not only is BM junk, so is Remington, Stag DPMS and half of the other AR15s on the market?
They are definitely not DD, BCM, KAC, Colt, LMT, or even PSA or Spikes. Considering you can get a PSA of better quality for less I really don't see why anyone would purchase the ARs you mentioned from Freedom Group.

I do understand that not everyone wants an AR from a higher quality manufacturer because they are not an "operator", "at war", "going to war", or are a "mall ninja" but why not when the prices are so good right now.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #18
Resident Lurker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
They are definitely not DD, BCM, KAC, Colt, LMT, or even PSA or Spikes. Considering you can get a PSA of better quality for less I really don't see why anyone would purchase the ARs you mentioned from Freedom Group.

I do understand that not everyone wants an AR from a higher quality manufacturer because they are not an "operator", "at war", "going to war", or are a "mall ninja" but why not when the prices are so good right now.
I understand what you are saying, but I'm sure a custom made Les Baer AR would be better than a DD or a PSA, doesn't mean it's gonna run any better or last any longer. I'm sure a Ferrari is a better car than an Volkswagen, while something may not be the best, its not always, nor usually necessary for a top of the line museum piece.

That being said, I may still look at a PSA if they are cheaper around here.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Last edited by sputnik1988; 02-12-2012 at 07:33 AM.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2263 Times on 1188 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Quote:

Never Forget.
Bushmaster is a decent maker of AR's. Like I said, my rifle shoots very well (2" 60 shot group at 100 yards). Are they great? Absolutely not. They have made some crap. They have cut some corners and fibbed about their "mil-spec" status. They are not alone, even the much revered Colt has turned out some junk. I have a co-worker with a Colt Match Target that will not group any better than 3 MOA. That is match?

The Bushmaster M-242 cannon was designed by McDonnell Douglas. The Bushmaster AR makers had, have and will have nothing to do with the design or manufacturing of the cannon that carries the same name. It is just a name. Get your facts straight.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 AM   #20
War and Peace
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16910 Times on 9803 Posts
Likes Given: 44099

my BM does what i expect from it, it goes bang everytime i pull the trigger and sends bullets down range. are there better rifles out there than the BM? probably, but i am happy with mine, i am happy with the amount i paid for it, so i should get rid of it, just because someone else doesn't like the BM and thinks they are junk and there are better made AR's on the market? as long as it does what i expect from it, it will remain in my collection, unless someone wants to trade a better made one for it, straight up! i am not in the military or in LE, so all those dressed up AR's don't do anything for me, and mine is pretty much stock. the fanciest accessory on mine is the carry handle scope mount for the Simmons 3-9x40 scope i sometimes use instead of the open sights. it serves my purposes of owning an AR very well at this time, and when it doesn't or can't serve my purposes, then it will be replaced with what i decide is more in tune with my needs or purposes. i paid about $750 for mine in lightly used condition, and i had no intentions of spending $1000 or more for a rifle, accessories and options that were of no use to me. since owning mine, i have decided i want one in 6.8 SPC caliber, and i will either build one in that caliber, or buy an upper to fit mine.