Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Patrolman questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

Default Bushmaster Patrolman questions

What is the difference between a Bushmaster patrolman and any of the other variants?

I've done a little research and have found nothing. Are they any better than a standard model, chrome lined? Thanks.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2012, 01:25 AM   #2

Liked 924 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 899

I'd compare the specs closer, especially the bolt and barrel. Really, if you need a duty rifle there are better choices than any Bushmaster.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Nothing in the name but marketing. Kinda like how RRA has an "Operator".

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #4

Liked 4424 Times on 2146 Posts
Likes Given: 1312

Bushmaster builds a decent rifle and one of the most affordable "complete guns" you can buy. I believe all of there products have chrome lined barrels.

They've gotten some bad press regarding the performance and pricing of the ACR and I'd steer clear of thier Carbon line but anything in thier Mil Spec ARs should serve you well.

I've owned a Bushmaster XM 15 for 8 years and only comment on quality if I've spent a lot of time using the gun in question.

Tack

Old 02-12-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19557 Times on 11100 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

i have a BM "Patrolmans Carbine" and have had zero problems with it, but it's one of the older ones. i believe the name was intended for marketing purposes for LEO to have a legal length carbine that anyone could carry, and came in the A2 configuration with the carry handle upper and the A3 with the flattop and removeable carry handle. i believe they all had the chrome lined barrels. but it's a 16" carbine barrel with an A2 flash suppressor, carbine length handguards, 6 position collapsable stock. it's a good gun but nothing spectacular or really special over anything else on the market. i do know mine use to belong to a sheriffs before he sold it when their department bought some and he got a department issued AR. like i said nothing special, just shoots well, decent accuracy, never has had a problem, just what i expect from my firearms.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:15 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bushmaster builds a decent rifle and one of the most affordable "complete guns" you can buy. I believe all of there products have chrome lined barrels.

They've gotten some bad press regarding the performance and pricing of the ACR and I'd steer clear of thier Carbon line but anything in thier Mil Spec ARs should serve you well.

I've owned a Bushmaster XM 15 for 8 years and only comment on quality if I've spent a lot of time using the gun in question.

Tack
They've been getting bad press for longer than that. Some have said that the older ones were decent.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-12-2012, 02:43 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 700 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 1925

My Dad has had a Bushmaster XM-15 Target model since '99 and loves it, he hasn't shot it a ton but its been 100% so far, that was my reason for considering Bushmaster.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Member - NRA, NAGR

Old 02-12-2012, 03:14 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Give us a realistic budget and I bet we can help point you in the right direction.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 02-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #9

I still really don't get why people hate on bm so much. Just cause they made a couple crap guns doesn't mean they're a bad gunmaker. Ill bet you can buy any bm except a carbon 15 and have no problems with it. I mean did you really expect a good ar based on an idea like that? It was kinda doomed from the start if you ask me. I don't care if armalite made it themselves, id be absolutely astonished if it was better. All in all don't hate on bm, for crying out loud the military trusts them making 30mm automatic cannons. Id think they can make an ok rifle.

Never Forget.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

The Bushmaster cannon the military uses is NOT made by Bushmaster. It is made by ATK. The Bushmaster AR guns have no link to the cannons.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball