Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Jamming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 12:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushmaster Jamming

I have a new Bushmaster AR15 - shooting federal .223 ammo. This thing jams on every other shot. Is this a clip issue or ammo issue? (I'm new to ARs to so please be kind)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Can we get a little more intel here brother??

Are you having Failure to Feed?? As in the shell is not being chambered correctly, thus a "jam"?

Are you having a Failure to Extract? As in the shell is not leaving the weapon once fired, and then a "jam"?

Are you having a Failure to Fire? As in, the shell goes into battery, you pull the trigger, and nothing happens, thus you have a "jam"??

And what type of magazine are you using? Is it a GI standard with the green follower? a PMAG?

A little information would go a long way with this problem...

JD

Old 08-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Yes, please more info. My crystal ball is at the cleaners so I am drawing a blank. We can probably diagnose the problem if you can describe in detail what goes wrong. Pictures of the "jam" would also be helpful.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know for me, my bushy upper is kind of particular about lubrication and also ammo selection. Depending on your issue, it may just need proper cleaning and lubrication. Again, we'll need to know the nature of the "jam". Mine was short stroking and ruined several cases by slamming the bolt down on a half loaded round.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:01 AM   #5

Hi, Bob.
I want to point out to you that it's a magazine that feeds the rifle, not a clip. Clips are the things that hold the rounds together at the base to be used in conjunction with the magazine loading adapter, to load the rounds into the magazine.
Also, are you using factory Mags?
The last I knew Bushmaster test fires each rifle.
I don't see why an AR Bushy wouldn't cycle, as long as you're using good ammo, (which I think you are), good mags, (the ones with the green follower), and a clean and lubed rifle.
I think the problem lies with the latter two.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:44 AM   #6
Kostriker
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1806 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 3682

My little AR-15 has not given me any issues with jamming, I have used Thermold, Sig-Sauer, Bushmaster mags no issues. Bushmaster tends to love HSM and PMC for range time. Cleaning gets done after range time. I do not care what the wife has planned!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:53 AM   #7

Guys,

thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay in providing more info.
From what i can tell, rifle is ejecting spent casing but failing to get the new round into the chamber. In some cases, the round is "cocked" and nees to be removed. In other cases, i can push the button to properly "seat" the round.

I purchased the mags at the same time i got the AR. They are at my place in CO so i won't be able to find out what type until mid sep when i go back out there.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 AM   #8

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back40Bob View Post
Guys,

thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay in providing more info.
From what i can tell, rifle is ejecting spent casing but failing to get the new round into the chamber. In some cases, the round is "cocked" and nees to be removed. In other cases, i can push the button to properly "seat" the round.

I purchased the mags at the same time i got the AR. They are at my place in CO so i won't be able to find out what type until mid sep when i go back out there.
Sounds like short stroking to me. I'm also in Colorado, if you're anywhere near me, I'd be more than happy to help face to face. Otherwise, when you get the rifle in your hands again, holler and we'll help you figure it out. What model Bushy do you have?