Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bushmaster Jamming (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bushmaster-jamming-17131/)

Back40Bob 08-20-2009 12:01 AM

Bushmaster Jamming

I have a new Bushmaster AR15 - shooting federal .223 ammo. This thing jams on every other shot. Is this a clip issue or ammo issue? (I'm new to ARs to so please be kind)
:)

Dillinger 08-20-2009 12:12 AM

Can we get a little more intel here brother??

Are you having Failure to Feed?? As in the shell is not being chambered correctly, thus a "jam"?

Are you having a Failure to Extract? As in the shell is not leaving the weapon once fired, and then a "jam"?

Are you having a Failure to Fire? As in, the shell goes into battery, you pull the trigger, and nothing happens, thus you have a "jam"??

And what type of magazine are you using? Is it a GI standard with the green follower? a PMAG?

A little information would go a long way with this problem...

JD

robocop10mm 08-20-2009 12:22 PM

Yes, please more info. My crystal ball is at the cleaners so I am drawing a blank. We can probably diagnose the problem if you can describe in detail what goes wrong. Pictures of the "jam" would also be helpful.

russ 08-22-2009 05:31 PM

I know for me, my bushy upper is kind of particular about lubrication and also ammo selection. Depending on your issue, it may just need proper cleaning and lubrication. Again, we'll need to know the nature of the "jam". Mine was short stroking and ruined several cases by slamming the bolt down on a half loaded round.

753X0 08-23-2009 12:01 AM

Hi, Bob.
I want to point out to you that it's a magazine that feeds the rifle, not a clip. Clips are the things that hold the rounds together at the base to be used in conjunction with the magazine loading adapter, to load the rounds into the magazine.
Also, are you using factory Mags?
The last I knew Bushmaster test fires each rifle.
I don't see why an AR Bushy wouldn't cycle, as long as you're using good ammo, (which I think you are), good mags, (the ones with the green follower), and a clean and lubed rifle.
I think the problem lies with the latter two.:)

Bigcountry02 08-25-2009 03:44 AM

My little AR-15 has not given me any issues with jamming, I have used Thermold, Sig-Sauer, Bushmaster mags no issues. Bushmaster tends to love HSM and PMC for range time. Cleaning gets done after range time. I do not care what the wife has planned!

Back40Bob 08-27-2009 12:53 AM

Guys,

thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay in providing more info.
From what i can tell, rifle is ejecting spent casing but failing to get the new round into the chamber. In some cases, the round is "cocked" and nees to be removed. In other cases, i can push the button to properly "seat" the round.

I purchased the mags at the same time i got the AR. They are at my place in CO so i won't be able to find out what type until mid sep when i go back out there.

russ 08-27-2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back40Bob (Post 151320)
Guys,

thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay in providing more info.
From what i can tell, rifle is ejecting spent casing but failing to get the new round into the chamber. In some cases, the round is "cocked" and nees to be removed. In other cases, i can push the button to properly "seat" the round.

I purchased the mags at the same time i got the AR. They are at my place in CO so i won't be able to find out what type until mid sep when i go back out there.

Sounds like short stroking to me. I'm also in Colorado, if you're anywhere near me, I'd be more than happy to help face to face. Otherwise, when you get the rifle in your hands again, holler and we'll help you figure it out. What model Bushy do you have?