Is it a Bushmaster or isnt it?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is it a Bushmaster or isnt it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
mit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Is it a Bushmaster or isnt it?

I just picked up an AR-15 that was supposedly manufactured by the company that is now Bushmaster before Bushmaster existed. All that is stamped on the receiver is E.A. CO. model J-15. Please someone enlighten me.

File Type: jpg 020900_1426[00].jpg (47.6 KB, 467 views)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do not know, but think you have an Essential Arms piece there. Does the Serial number start with EA? No Bushmaster that I know of. Someone will tell you for sure. Non blurry Pictures always help.

Try Here:ESSENTIAL ARMS CO.

Last edited by Shihan; 02-09-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
mit

Thank you very much, it is an Essential arms. Now I just need to know is it a decent rifle. For obvious reasons I don't think I can trust the guy at the gun shop that I bought it from since he lied about manufacturer.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

It more than likely has a cast lower, not quite as good as forged. As I said, I know very little and there are others that know far more than me, but I guess my answer was good enough that no one else answered. If you ask in here and use the search, there is alot of good info and knowledgeable people. You will definitely find your answers. Good Luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 AM   #5

Technically, it is an Essential Arms. However, it could be a build using an EA lower receiver. The carbine I'm assembling right now is around an Armalite lower but the barrel is Bushmaster and the Bolt carrier is BCM, The fire control kit is Daniel Defense. So is it an Armalite? That is how it would be identified because the serial number is on the lower receiver. Take it out and shoot it. Good luck!

Are you sure it isn't time for a "colourful metaphor"?

Old 02-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #6
mit

Got ya, I think the guy at the shop was referring to the upper which has no markings whatsoever. So basically I have some ones personal build. Thanks for the knowledge. I have owned 2 Ak47s but this is my first AR. Since my last post I have taken it out and shot it, and I have to say I am very pleased with the accuracy. I unloaded one 30rd mag. with no problem, the second and third mag would not cycle at all. These are all used steel mags that came with the gun. I figured that the problem was gunked up mags, so I took all of them apart, scrubbed, and oiled them (you would not believe the crap in those mags) . I have not test fired the AR since, but I am pretty confident I solved the problem. My AR. is basically a mill-spec AR-15 20" heavy barrel (I think this gun is heavier than my old MAK-90) I am planning to ditch the mill-spec stock and handguard the first chance I get to try and lighten the load a little. I think I am going with the M4 socom collapsible stock, a composite hand guard with rails, a green laser, and a flashlight attachment

Last edited by mit; 02-15-2010 at 12:21 AM.