Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Carbon 15-newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 914 Times on 650 Posts
Likes Given: 888

Nate, your threads got sidetracked due to a few loose comments. I see a moderator has cleaned up our mess which is good. You can learn a lot here but remember that not everyone will agree with you. It's up to you. We'd like you to stay, learn and contribute.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #42

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Really? A case of ammo down range and come back to re-ask the question.
Case of ammo That is costing more than a lot of rifles since HS started buying it all up.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #43

Liked 4421 Times on 2144 Posts
Likes Given: 1311

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate913 View Post
Ok, got my first AR. It's a bushmaster Carbon 15, (I know alit of people bash them because of the carbon uppers and lowers, but I talked to quit a few that owned them and they love them) and I'm ready to do up grades.
What should I start with.
Op... Congrats on your first AR, your no longer a "black rifle" virgin!

I agree with previous advise to shoot it before modifications.

Personally, I don't like a bunch of tacti-cool gear hanging off the front of my rifle. Perhaps my 6 years of Light Infantry service packing these things through the bush effects my preference.

The one modification I do highly recommend is a "drop in" replacement trigger group. There are several good ones out there and they tent to run $160.00 to $200.00.

I've been running a Chip McCormick in my Bushmaster XME 15 for over 10 years and 10k rounds without issue. It breaks like a glass rod a 3 lbs and is actually better than the trigger on my deer rifle so I highly recommend it. Giselle also makes a good one.

Good Luck, welcome to the community, and don't let a handful of AR "snobs" run you off.

Tack

Old 04-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #44

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Triggers, are like shoes.

What you gonna do in them?

You don't want to wear hiking boots fer sprinting on the track, you don't want ballet shoes to climb mountains. Identify your primary use. IE home defense/plinking/gaming/long distance etc. Then go from there. No one trigger is good for all used.

Since you do have a C15 a lightweight carbine, I'm thinking perhaps a good duty weight trigger would suit that particular build. Better than stock (and not a lot of money) are the Spikes NiB battle trigger and the ALG ACT. Both are around 5 to 7# pulls, suitable for home defence and plinking, and won't break the bank.

I personally prefer the Geissele SD series, but I like the flat trigger bow. I do however recommend you start with a standard milspec trigger, YMMV.

Old 04-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
Triggers, are like shoes.

What you gonna do in them?

You don't want to wear hiking boots fer sprinting on the track, you don't want ballet shoes to climb mountains. Identify your primary use. IE home defense/plinking/gaming/long distance etc. Then go from there. No one trigger is good for all used.

Since you do have a C15 a lightweight carbine, I'm thinking perhaps a good duty weight trigger would suit that particular build. Better than stock (and not a lot of money) are the Spikes NiB battle trigger and the ALG ACT. Both are around 5 to 7# pulls, suitable for home defence and plinking, and won't break the bank.

I personally prefer the Geissele SD series, but I like the flat trigger bow. I do however recommend you start with a standard milspec trigger, YMMV.
In all deference to AT's position, I respectfully disagree.

I understand the logic of different trigger weights if were talking about pocket guns due to the manner in which many of them are carried, however, if a shooter is properly trained to keep the trigger finger indexed on the frame until they've decided to shoot... I see no safety concern with having the lightest, most crisp and accurate trigger you can afford, especially in a rifle.

Just MHO.

Tack

Old 04-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #46

Liked 200 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

I understand the logic of different trigger weights if were talking about pocket guns due to the manner in which many of them are carried, however, if a shooter is properly trained to keep the trigger finger indexed on the frame until they've decided to shoot... I see no safety concern with having the lightest, most crisp and accurate trigger you can afford, especially in a rifle.

Just MHO.

Tack
Personnaly,
I think the AR "snobs" had one good point; send some rounds down range before you put any serious dough on accessories. Most of them have enough experience to know what they are talking about; they don't have enough patience IMHO for those that don't. Once you get comfortable with what you have, then set back and evaluate what you want to do with it. I know jokers who have mall ninja specials with double beta mags locked together so they can bumpfire 200 rounds continuously downrange, but that may not be for you. Maybe a trigger upgrade is right for you, maybe it isn't. You may want to look at getting some optics if you are shooting for distance, maybe not. Go play with it, then start thinking about what you want. It is definately more fun than pecking at a keyboard.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

rachilders Likes This 
Old 04-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post

Just MHO.

Tack

I respectfully disagree, I've run a lightweight trigger in a carbine classes and had a few times where i shot too early on the running and gunning drills (missing a 25 yard target). A 2.5# trigger doesn't belong on a duty gun. Also, you don't really need a 2 stage trigger for duty work, so it goes both ways. I believe you should get the right tool for the job.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I respectfully disagree, I've run a lightweight trigger in a carbine classes and had a few times where i shot too early on the running and gunning drills (missing a 25 yard target). A 2.5# trigger doesn't belong on a duty gun. Also, you don't really need a 2 stage trigger for duty work, so it goes both ways. I believe you should get the right tool for the job.
Hence everyone's advice for the OP to shoot it first...

Old 04-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #49

Liked 282 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
omg! Another "upgrade a gun i have never shot" thread. Come on. Would you buy a new car, change out the wheels and tires, install a new 2000 watt stereo system, add a supercharger, carbon fiber hood, ground effects, wettie wing and hid head lights? Oh, i guess you would. Never mind. Go ahead and spend a grand on "improvements" to a $600 rifle.

Really? A case of ammo down range and come back to re-ask the question.
^ this. This. This.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackleberry1 View Post
hence everyone's advice for the op to shoot it first...
i see what you did there!