Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Carbon 15-newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 05:32 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 63 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate913 View Post
I sure the hell would. Do you go to McDonald's and put ketchup on you cheese burger, salt on you fries??
I sure would! But then again I've had 49 years of experience with cheeseburgers and I know what I like. You however have exactly ZERO experience with AR-15s. For us to tell you what accessories to put on your rifle would be like telling someone who has never had a cheeseburger what to put on it. What we like/need may not match what you like/need. A better plan is to ask people about a particular accessory you have seen and are considering. And ask them if they have one or have used one and what they liked or dislike about it. From that information you can decide if it is worth pursuing.

I could tell you to put jalapenos and thousand island dressing on you cheese burger. If you have never had either of those and you put them on a burger you have never eaten, you may not like it and that would be a waste of your money. You may resent the waste of money and and never really like cheeseburgers for the rest of your life based on that experience. But If you had just had a plane cheeseburger without all of the "toppings" you may have liked it more and gotten an idea what toppings you would like to try to make a plane burger more to your liking.

So, GO SHOOT THE GUN! Just the way it is now and identify your own needs and wants. We'll be here to offer advice to help you reach an informed decision.

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by EW1066; 04-04-2013 at 05:35 PM.
People Like This 
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 886 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post
I sure would! But then again I've had 49 years of experience with cheeseburgers and I know what I like. You however have exactly ZERO experience with AR-15s. For us to tell you what accessories to put on your rifle would be like telling someone who has never had a cheeseburger what to put on it. What we like/need may not match what you like/need. A better plan is to ask people about a particular accessory you have seen and are considering. And ask them if they have one or have used one and what they liked or dislike about it. From that information you can decide if it is worth pursuing.

I could tell you to put jalapenos and thousand island dressing on you cheese burger. If you have never had either of those and you put them on a burger you have never eaten, you may not like it and that would be a waste of your money. You may resent the waste of money and and never really like cheeseburgers for the rest of your life based on that experience. But If you had just had a plane cheeseburger without all of the "toppings" you may have liked it more and gotten an idea what toppings you would like to try to make a plane burger more to your liking.

So, GO SHOOT THE GUN! Just the way it is now and identify your own needs and wants. We'll be here to offer advice to help you reach an informed decision.

EDUB
Am I the only one craving a cheeseburger with jalapenos and thousand island now? LOL
Old 04-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #23

Liked 57 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Maybe I am wired a bit different, but how does one decide just to purchase without doing research in it? I am not as experienced with firearms as I am with cars. However I look at both the same when it comes to starting a build. I do lots of research on everything related to it. Then I start asking questions. Then only after I feel confident I have a good plan of action do I start making my purchase.

Now I started with a bone stock Bushmaster. I never changed a thing on it for three years. I did manage to log in several thousand rounds through it before I decided to upgrade. I then bought a complete Daniel Defense rifle. I started by changing the furniture and adding an optic before I again felt the need to grow.

Now here I am about to embark on a custom build. I didn't say that I disagreed, RoboCop. Just didn't like your analogy

Old 04-04-2013, 07:53 PM   #24

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
I would concentrate on sights first. Did it come with sights? Decide if you want iron sights or an optic. Next would would be the forward grip. Do you like it the way it is now or do you want a vertical or angled front grip? Shooting it may answer some of these questions for you too.
I agree with pawjr74 but I also agree with the folks who say (sometimes not very tactfully) you should shoot your gun enough - at least a few boxes of ammo if you can get it - to get a feel for it and see what feels "right" and what doesn't. Then, start changing the things that don't meet your expectations.

As to your original question, the most common modifications you'll find, especially with newbs, are to sights, stocks and foregrips. These are also the easiest items to change/upgrade for someone new to the AR platform. Once you've had it for a while and know more about your gun and AR's in general, you can decide what other "improvements" you may want. BTW, a lot of the things you may want to consider aren't as much upgrades as accessories like extra mags, carry bag, slings, optics, etc. that can be used with other rifles and/or transferred to a new gun should you decide to replace you current rifle.

I personally don't own a Carbon 15, but do have several M&P-15's and a Bushmaster XM-15. OTOH, I know people who do own a Carbon 15. They all seem happy with the gun and say it does what they want it to do. It may not be a higher end Ruger, NIT, Knights or Colt but they also don't cost $2,000-$3,000+ dollars either.

Last edited by rachilders; 04-04-2013 at 07:57 PM.
cpttrips Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin

The Bushamster C-15 and $1 cheeseburger is a pretty good analogy!
That was witty and humorous and not meant to be offensive, I'm sure.

No offense and none taken

Quentin Likes This 
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 886 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 495

I think when you throw a post out there like this it's best to give us a little back ground info. For example...

I recently bought a Del Ton Sport. (off the shelf gun) I'm new to owning AR's but not new to guns. (also not new to shooting AR's - I've shot them just never owned one) When shopping, I had a price range I needed to be in and also took some time and did some research. Being it was my first AR I didn't want to jump in to building one. Everything I read about Del Ton has been very positive. Also it comes with a lifetime warranty which is huge to me. Are there better AR's? Of course but for now this will serve me well. When I get more comfortable with the platform I can build my own later. I may even re-use the current Del Ton Lower.

Here's what I did right away with my new purchase. I knew right off the bat that I wanted an angled foregrip from shooting different set-ups in the past. I chose the Magpul AFG2 as I own a carbine and the smaller foregrip was more appealing to me. I also needed a BUS because the gun did not come with one. I chose the Magpul. I already had an optic (a cheap one but it works) that was fine for now. This paticular gun won't get much more than that for the obvious reasons stated above. As I get more comfortable with the platform I will probably jump into something a little more bad A$$. It can be a little overwhelming for a newbie to jump in and start building from scratch.

That is MHO.

Paul

Old 04-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74
I would concentrate on sights first. Did it come with sights? Decide if you want iron sights or an optic. Next would would be the forward grip. Do you like it the way it is now or do you want a vertical or angled front grip? Shooting it may answer some of these questions for you too.
Came with a red dot.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Anyways guy, I wasn't trying to say major upgrades. I was talking about some quad rails, maybe a flashlight, forgrip, looking for advise like don't buy this brand of mags, or these are great. And yes, I did a lot a research first, I have the gen 2 with the eject assist bushmaster carbon 15 super lightwieght. Anyway, I paid $900.00 after tax, $799 new. I know that's a low end and I'm not trying to dump thousands into it.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:35 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5308 Times on 2914 Posts
Likes Given: 10141

Best of luck to you and congratulations on your purchase.

No offense and none taken

Old 04-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #30

Liked 252 Times on 172 Posts

I own a carbon 15 AND I like cheeseburgers! So whut up with that?

Name:  images-2.jpeg
Views: 285
Size:  2.3 KB