Bushmaster Carbon 15 Inputs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster Carbon 15 Inputs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushmaster Carbon 15 Inputs

Just bought the gun over the weekend at a local gun show. Equipped a quad rail and front grip just after purchase. The gun came with a Bushnell red dot which will be changed eventually. It is my first AR and I'm really just looking for expert input from those who have used it and their experience. Any good upgrades would be cool, too.

forumrunner_20120117_210450.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #2

well,, i recently bought one of these..... they are not the best quality. ive only put around 1000 rnds down range and the to rail is already loose. the lower isnt bad. i heard carbon upper jam alot. i changed the upper to a Stag arms upper. it cost around the same price as the whole carbon 15. remember, you get what you pay for.

oh and go introduce yourself!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 AM   #3

My name is Kevin. I'm a Navy Submariner by trade but I'm currently working at Navy Recruiting Headquarters in Millington, TN.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Welcome Raven Rider. I got a buddy who's a submariner.
No experience with that brand.
I say, shot the **** out of it and see what breaks. That's usually what I upgrade. =)

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 01-18-2012, 03:59 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

We've had two really recent cases (last week) on this site alone of poor quality w/ this rifle. There is a long trail of issues w/ the Carbon on top of these recent cases.

Another case where looking for advise before the purchase would have been best.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-18-2012, 02:50 PM   #6

Liked 1067 Times on 750 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

My buddy has had a C15 quite a while, since 2008, and it's held up to light use. I don't trust it myself but his wife loves it because it's lightweight.

It seems recent models made in Ilion, NY are of lesser quality than older ones. I'd say treat it gently and certainly never mortar it to remove a stuck casing.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
My buddy has had a C15 quite a while, since 2008, and it's held up to light use. I don't trust it myself but his wife loves it because it's lightweight.

It seems recent models made in Ilion, NY are of lesser quality than older ones. I'd say treat it gently and certainly never mortar it to remove a stuck casing.
And have the chamber checked to save yourself from possible headaches.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #8

Thanks for the inputs everyone. Does anyone else any other inputs? I stripped the weapon today just to familiarize myself as it is my first AR. It's very simple and seems to have tons of aftermarket upgrades.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #9

I've had mine a few months with a couple hundred rounds through it. All I can say so far is that it is quite accurate and I love it for the price, but:

1. The magazine is crap, so get some others - I bought several Tapco mags when Brownell's had them for $7.50 - all work fine.
2. Stay away from steel cased ammo. Remington, American Eagle, and Lake City M855 have all worked well with no problems.

Old 01-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #10

Go and shoot the darned thing.

Don't waste any money on upgrades at this time - find if your rifle is what you want it to be.

Research the many sites that talk about the ar15, read other people comments on their gear, figure out what your rifle is to be used for and the "upgrades" will come naturally. Short cuts are expensive, and asking for people to help you upgrade your rifle is asking them to spend your money for something they will never use. You have no idea yet how your rifle "feels" nor what changes any "upgrades" will introduce.

Bubbleheads....I don't hate them, I have a son who was one. (I'm a retired Master Chief, community that Iwas in is unimportant, but rifles and such were an everyday part of my life) Thank you for your service.