Bushmaster AR15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster AR15

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ruger22lr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 452
Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Just a quick question but new AR's do shoot .223 and 5.56 right? Just making sure of it.

__________________

Last edited by Ruger22lr; 06-08-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Ruger22lr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,354
Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr
Just a quick question but new AR's do shoot .223 and 5.56 right? Just making sure of it.
As long as the barrel is marked 5.56 (it most likely will be) you can shoot both. Don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel.
__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ruger22lr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 452
Liked 87 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawjr74 View Post
As long as the barrel is marked 5.56 (it most likely will be) you can shoot both. Don't shoot 5.56 in a .223 marked barrel.
Yeah thought so. It's brand new so it is 5.56 then.
__________________
Ruger22lr is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pawjr74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 2,354
Liked 1043 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 555

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger22lr

Yeah thought so. It's brand new so it is 5.56 then.
Probably. Just looks at the barrel marking. I don't think many manufacturers are putting out .223 only these days. (Unless you're shopping specifically for that caliber on a high end build) Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.
__________________
pawjr74 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,397
Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

In my opinion that's an okay price for an okay gun. Not bad on either accord, but not great either. A lot of Bushmaster stuff has been foolishly inflated because that seems to be the name most commonly affiliated with the "evil AR" media movement.

Bushmasters are generally solid rifles. And for under $1K they're just fine. IMO, you can build a better rifle through PSA for the same or less. But not everyone wants to build, nor did I when I bought my first AR.

If you got the 'carbon' (plastic lower) model, you didn't do so well because it's a $700 gun. Otherwise (alloy lower), you did just fine in my opinion.

__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Why do they cost such a low price? Just curious about the quality of materials. There is a Bushmaster at the Rod and Gun Club in camo, but it is much more. I think it is a .308 though.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweeper22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,397
Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Why do they cost such a low price? Just curious about the quality of materials. There is a Bushmaster at the Rod and Gun Club in camo, but it is much more. I think it is a .308 though.
The brand alone doesn't define it. It might be a C15, an ACR, or a 308. What would you say if I asked you "How much is a Toyota worth?"?

But you're right to ask about the quality of the parts. That's where you win or lose with any AR purchase/build, and understanding what will serve you best is critical.
__________________
"The Future is Unwritten"
sweeper22 is offline  
Jagermeister Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
The brand alone doesn't define it. It might be a C15, an ACR, or a 308. What would you say if I asked you "How much is a Toyota worth?"?

But you're right to ask about the quality of the parts. That's where you win or lose with any AR purchase/build, and understanding what will serve you best is critical.
Can you get a Bushmaster in black. I only see camo on their website. I am not a fan of camo. I think the export fees is what makes the Bushmaster I looked at more expensive. It does come with illuminated scope and bipod. How does the plastic lowers hold up? There are no plastic AR15s over here. How do does the plastic compare to metal lowers?
__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ccase39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Orleans La
Posts: 693
Liked 124 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Can you get a Bushmaster in black. I only see camo on their website. I am not a fan of camo. I think the export fees is what makes the Bushmaster I looked at more expensive. It does come with illuminated scope and bipod. How does the plastic lowers hold up? There are no plastic AR15s over here. How do does the plastic compare to metal lowers?
Im pretty sure Bushmaster only offers metal receivers. Mine is in black so you should be able to find one if you look. Some set ups do come with a scope and some don't. I havnt seen one with a bipod in the package.
__________________
ccase39 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Quentin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Idaho
Posts: 6,545
Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccase39 View Post
Im pretty sure Bushmaster only offers metal receivers. Mine is in black so you should be able to find one if you look. Some set ups do come with a scope and some don't. I havnt seen one with a bipod in the package.
No, the Bushmaster Carbon 15 doesn't have metal receivers.
__________________

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.
________________________________________
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Quentin is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Bushmaster or Rock river AR15 fern AR-15 Discussion 17 12-15-2012 05:03 AM
Smith and Wesson M&P15 vs Bushmaster carbine AR15 Cha AR-15 Discussion 17 11-20-2012 06:57 PM
Bushmaster .223 .556 NATO AR15 Secondhand_Hero AR-15 Discussion 19 01-01-2012 05:37 AM
Bushmaster AR15 bullethole Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 10 06-04-2011 06:54 PM
Bushmaster AR15 223 XM15 E2S calvinbr AR-15 Discussion 3 01-29-2010 01:17 PM