Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Bushmaster??

Sportsman's Warehouse, local big-box gun store, is having a father's day special on Bushmaster ARs with a bushnell red dot for $649 (+ 2 1/2% tax). Is this a good deal? Should I get myself one? I've been slow to warm to the whole AR concept because I'm an old fart and I live where there's big bad furry critters. So I like big fat bullets.
But anyways, I've been thinking something that uses the most common ammo and mags around can't be a bad idea. Is Bushmaster a good one? I know it was good enough for John Malvo, but not sure if that's a sterling recommendation.
Thanks for any input, especially if you know what you're talking about.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I bought a DCM for $1100.00 when Clinton was taking office. Great A2 rifle. 20" heavy barrel. I"ll shoot it till it falls apart and send it back for work/ new one.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #3

Likes Given: 2

seems incredibly cheap, bushys are great guns

Old 06-15-2010, 03:46 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Sportsman's Warehouse, local big-box gun store, is having a father's day special on Bushmaster ARs with a bushnell red dot for $649 (+ 2 1/2% tax). Is this a good deal? Should I get myself one? I've been slow to warm to the whole AR concept because I'm an old fart and I live where there's big bad furry critters. So I like big fat bullets.
But anyways, I've been thinking something that uses the most common ammo and mags around can't be a bad idea. Is Bushmaster a good one? I know it was good enough for John Malvo, but not sure if that's a sterling recommendation.
Thanks for any input, especially if you know what you're talking about.
Sounds like a good deal but the devil is usually in the details. What kind of barrel, sights, upper, stock? I cannot recall ever seeing a Bushy at that price.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-15-2010, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You can't build one for that, I don't care what parts you find after searching the web for months!

The upper alone would cost you near $300!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So. It's a Bushmaster Carbon 15 with a Bushnell 1x25 red dot, 16" light barrel, soft case, sling and 30 rd mag. Doesn't appear to have any iron sights. Guess you can come up with those...

Old 06-16-2010, 03:31 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
So. It's a Bushmaster Carbon 15 with a Bushnell 1x25 red dot, 16" light barrel, soft case, sling and 30 rd mag. Doesn't appear to have any iron sights. Guess you can come up with those...
Is that the one with the carbon fiber upper and lower receivers? Look around on the net and see if others are happy with it. These usually sell at $1000 or more, not sure what the optic ready models go for.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

My buddy has a Carbon 15 and paid about $1000 for it in Nov 2008 during the panic period. Too much of course but the Bushy has been a decent AR otherwise. Always works and pretty accurate. Ejects brass nicely at about 4:30 angle. It doesn't have M4 feedramps, the castle nut isn't staked and the gas key isn't staked quite good enough but those don't have to be deal breakers.

If you're not going to beat it to death I'd say it's ok and that is a great price. For heavy use I'd go with milspec receivers and bolt, etc.

I have to say it's a real handy lightweight AR, about a pound lighter than my 16" midlength. I also liked that it uses standard AR parts, like the trigger group, etc.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:00 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Well, false alarm. I pondered too long and they were sold out when I got there after work. "Limited to stock on hand, no rainchecks" they probably had three of them. Oh well, back to pondering. Anybody know anything about those Remingtons?