Bushmaster 16 inch A3 w/EOTech scope
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bushmaster 16 inch A3 w/EOTech scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bushmaster 16 inch A3 w/EOTech scope

Anyone have this setup? I am getting this gun and this is the scope I think I am going to get. If you have this setup - do you like it? Do you have the night vision? I am going to use it for plinking and varmit destruction.
I have read thru other posts, and did not see any info on this. Sorry if I missed it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well, there are a lot of Bushmasters running around the site. JPBeck has a real nice one he put some pictures up on yesterday. I know that both he, and RL357Mag I believe, have a fondness for the Bushmasters.

If you are going to use the weapon for plinking and for shooting varmints, I would scrap the EoTech idea. I love mine - I have a couple of them, but they are not for target shooting, they are for quick, both eyes open, close target acquisition & shooting situations.

I have a no extra toys AR in my Gallery that is my "indoor" gun should the need ever arise. It has a 17" GI Barrel and it shoots decent at the range, but all I need is "Minute of Bad Guy" - which is all that weapon was built to do.

For target shooting, or shooting varmints, I would suggest getting a scope to utilize, along with a set of back up, fold down analog sights. Neither need batteries and can be used no matter what the conditions. Shooting cans, or paper targets, or something of that nature isn't something you need $500 plus optics for.

Don't get me wrong, I think the EoTech is a hell of a product, but it's not designed to be used as a plinking scope. I think using it for groundhog hunting would be somewhat problematic because of the constant range changes. I have one with the hold over, ranging style reticle and it's pretty busy. Looking at that for a few hours of shooting groundhogs would give me a headache... LOL

Any reason why the Bushmaster specifically? Did you see a model you liked? Or is there one on sale near you? Only reason I ask is I am just curious how you arrived at that model?

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #3

First, I was going to get the S&W but then read a bad review in guntests. Then I was going to go after the colt, but when I went to a gun store the guy told me this gun was just as good but not as pricey. He also told me about the EOTech scope and that it was idiot proof. I have no knowledge about this type of gun, besides what I have read on the internet. I'm a shotgun/pistol girl. I'd love to have some alt. suggestions to this gun. FYI I am concerned about the weight of the gun, some of the models I picked up were just too heavy for me.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #4

Well, have you shot one yet? Do you even know if you like the weapon having fielded it?

The AR platform is great. It's accurate. It's reliable, if well built and maintained. It's common and the ammo can generally be found anywhere in the US by way of a sporting good store. Should you ever get beset by the roaming bands of Zombies or Katrina hits your hometown, you were foolish enough to stay behind, and have to ward off home invaders, still a great choice of weapon. It has range, it has accuracy and it has reliability to do the job.

But, if you haven't shot one yet, it might not be for you.

There is nothing wrong with the Bushmaster - I was just wondering why that particular model is all.

As for weight - it can definitely be a problem if you get one that is loaded up with all the high tech stuff. But, there are weapon systems that come in under 10 pounds, nicely equipped, that would serve you well. Again, if you haven't tried one out yet, the first thing I would recommend is that you do that first.

Bushmaster makes this model that is listed as their super light model and weighs in at like 6.5lbs. You are also going to pay through the nose for it at $1250MSRP, which I consider absolutely ridiculous for what you are getting.

Bushmaster also makes their Carbon 15 Model. Which is basically a space age polymer type of receiver to shave off weight. I personally don't care for it, but it does come in at like 5.5 pounds. Also expensive - but they are getting paid for it, so someone is buying it. The barrel length is short ( 14.5" versus the legal 16" ), so you would either need to get the longer flash hider ( if available in your state ) or get a Class III to be able to purchase/own it I believe. Check the laws in your area.

I am big fan of building your own platform, because you can do it cheaper and get a personal say as to what components go into the finished product. That may or may not interest you. There are other folks here that have the Bushmaster, so hopefully they will chime in and give you some information on their time with it.

Hope that Helps -

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

The A-3 with its full profile heavy barrel is too heavy (IMHO) for a carbine length AR. The A-2 is lighter and generally as accurate. Everyone has an opinion about what gun is "best". Find one that works for you within your budget. I have a Colt A-2 Gov't Carbine and a Bushmaster 20" w/full profile HB. They each have their place. To me a Carbine length AR is a carrying around weapon. It should be light enough to be comfortable to hump all day and accurate enough to hit what I am aiming at. My 20" rifle is superior in the accuracy department (1/2 inch) but would not be comfortable to carry all day.

Colt is the standard by which all others are compared. That does not mean Colt is better, just the standard bearer. Every Colt I have shot is superior in the accuracy/reliability departments. A friend has a Colt Match Target that is a lemon. The target it is intended for must be a barn door. Colt worked on it and said it is "in specs" as far as accuracy. I would not consider 3" groups to be "match grade". One out of thousands? I guess enyone can have a bad day.

Bushmaster makes a good weapon. The only caveat is their bolts are not magnetic particle tested. My Bushy has a Colt bolt.

Rock River has an excellent reputation. My next AR will likely be a RRA.

Stag has a significant following and Double Star is gaining a following.

Olympic seems to be hit or miss. Some would say more miss than hit.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #6

I have shot the colt and liked it. The one I shot had add on's and was a bit heavy. I wish I would have found this forum sooner. I have planned on getting the gun this weekend. I will have to look at the Stag and Rock River, I have never heard of that brand before. I did see the lighter bushmaster, but did not think it was worth the price, and it was not that much lighter. As to building my own gun, I don't think so. I don't think I have the knowledge or the tools to do so. (but it is a great idea!) I loved the longer barrels but way too heavy for me. Any other ideas on a good gun/brand that is not super heavy?
Thank you all very much - you are VERY helpful!!!!!!

Old 08-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I've only ever handled Colts, both M16A2s and M4s and Bushys in M16A2, M16A4 and AR-15 and a Hydramatic M16A1 (yes Hydramatic as in the GM transmissions). Honestly, my favorite was my Colt M4. I beat the snot out of that poor little thing and with the exception of the time that I set it on fire, it never missed a beat.

It's my understanding though, that in the past 10 years or so, Colt quality has suffered greatly, especially when it comes to civilian arms. I'm getting ready to build a couple of M4geries and I'll probably be using RRA and Bushy parts.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
the exception of the time that I set it on fire, it never missed a beat.
Holy Crap! You DO NOT get to shoot my weapons when we get together and go to the range... LOL

Quote:
I'll probably be using RRA and Bushy parts.
Can't really go wrong with that battle plan. Good quality stuff.

JD

Old 08-20-2008, 09:08 PM   #9

Okay, I went thru and read a ton of threads. If you had to pick between this gun and the RRA NMA4 which would you choose?
Also, if I do go w/the bushmaster can they put on a colt bolt and aluminum rails on where I buy it?

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoshoot View Post
Anyone have this setup? I am getting this gun and this is the scope I think I am going to get. If you have this setup - do you like it? Do you have the night vision? I am going to use it for plinking and varmit destruction.
I have read thru other posts, and did not see any info on this. Sorry if I missed it.
Kind of like this?

Sorry, it was the only pic I had of it at work. I do like the set-up, it's quick on target and light handling. The Eotech on this one is the 511, uses the "N" battery. I do have the 512, and 553 models on other pieces at home. As for NV, I do have a setup for that as well, but not with an Eotech on it. But for general plinking/varmints, it's a good combo.

Slo