Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Bushmaster (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/bushmaster-12062/)

pennyc 03-21-2009 02:47 AM

Bushmaster

I'm fairly new to guns and especially ARs. i just bought a bushmaster for my hubby 2 weeks ago. we love it. it's beautiful.

the book says that you are supposed to only use winchester bullets. winchester is hard to find in these parts but i can find plenty of remington and wolf. i'm also looking to stock pile and would like to buy in bulk. I'm not a nut, but if the threat of a 300% tax is on the horizon, i'll buy now save later! :p anyway, i was wondering is winchester the parent company of bushmaster or vice versa? are they "persuasively suggesting" you use their ammo because they are in kahoots with winchester? or is winchester built a specific way that it is special to the bushmaster?

thanks for any help you can offer.

Penny 31 New Orleans, LA

Dillinger 03-21-2009 03:03 AM

Penny - Stay away from Wolf unless you have the ability to THOROUGHLY clean the the action/chamber extensively because of the lacquer coating...

Outside of that - what is the rifle chambered for? 5.56Nato? or .223 Civilian? because they are not the same chamber, and accuracy can suffer...

In any event, you DO NOT need to use exclusively one type of ammo. A good AR will run with just about anything you feed it, including Salt lake City Depot, where the military makes their stuff. :D ( If you got the 5.56mm chamber )

JD

pennyc 03-21-2009 03:10 AM

it's chambered for .223

every time we shoot any of our guns they are thouroghly cleaned. that said though should the need ever arise that we would HAVE to shoot our AR for anything other than recreation, I can't say that we will take a break to clean. guess there's always a reason when things are cheap. we were looking at georgia fire arms website for bulk purchase but if you know a better one i'm all ears

thanks so much for the info! love your achilles quote. One of my favorite heros of all time!

Dillinger 03-21-2009 03:52 AM

Okay, .223 is the civilian round -so your chamber "technically" is not supposed to take the 5.56 ( higher pressure ) NATO round.

I have NEVER known a civilian AR to blow up with the higher pressure NATO round, but there is a rumor that it happens....

So, for a .223 in bulk, I really, REALLY like these guys:

Surplus Ammo

I have done business with these guys on 5 occassions and they have ALWAYS had top shelf stuff, been very curtious, and have delivered exactly what was advertised.

As for Achilles - I love that guy too. Conflicted, yet a warrior to the end and wasn't afraid of knowing his Fate. That quote is paraphrased, but I am sure Achilles would have approved based on his views of Aggamennon...

JD

Spanz 03-21-2009 11:48 AM

You bought a bushmaster what? My XM15 takes both types of ammo, and it is pretty old. I think they have been making them for both for a long while. What is stamped on the lower? Mine reads "CAL .223 - 5.56mm", so I have no doubts.

Some of the Wolf 5.56 is stell cased, and there are reports of it not firing so well in the bushmaster. I would buy maybe 60 rounds and try it. If it is not sticking, you can go for it.

I know, now that American made ammo is sky high in price, we have to make some compromises in what we shoot!

Cnynrat 03-21-2009 11:04 PM

Speaking of AR ammo, anybody have an opinion on Brown Bear ammo? It's made in Russia, but reported to be cleaner than the Wolf stuff.

I've almost collected all the pieces of my first AR build, so time to start stocking up on ammo.

pennyc 03-22-2009 02:20 AM

it isn't the m-4. when i can get one in stock i plan to buy that one too. the one i have is mx15. we went to academy tonight to look at rounds and we have 4 boxes of the winchester rounds that was given to us with the gun when we bought it. what i can see in the difference is winchester is super hyper pointed. where as the others like monarch are pointed but have more of a blunt point that a super sharp point. so winchester looks like it would shoot further and more accurate.

DonnyKC 03-22-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 84942)
Penny - Stay away from Wolf unless you have the ability to THOROUGHLY clean the the action/chamber extensively because of the lacquer coating...

Outside of that - what is the rifle chambered for? 5.56Nato? or .223 Civilian? because they are not the same chamber, and accuracy can suffer...

In any event, you DO NOT need to use exclusively one type of ammo. A good AR will run with just about anything you feed it, including Salt lake City Depot, where the military makes their stuff. :D ( If you got the 5.56mm chamber )

JD

Its actually Lake City..its out side of Kansas city,mo

crockett007 03-23-2009 05:33 PM

Wolf ammo FACTS

OK, since we just got through shooting about 800 rounds of Wolf yesterday through a Bushy carbine and a DPMS....let's talk a minute......

It is true that OLDER Wolf (laquer coated, red moisture seal) is not recommended because of laquer build up in the chamber that can cause FTF, FTE etc. I personally experienced a stuck empty while firing this older stuff in my DPMS. A quick tap with the rod and the case pooped right out.

We fired NEW Wolf (blackbox), which is Polymer coated. The cases are matte in appearance. 55gr. FMJ. Wolf has apparently addressed the laquer issue in latest exported lots. This ammo ran flawlessly in the Bushmaster carbine. Accuracy was also outstanding. In a 100 yd comparison with PMC 223 (Brass case, 55 FMJ) the Wolf grouped tighter through both the DPMS and the Bushy.

Our activities included rapid fire with 30 round mags. We heated up the black rifles and the Wolf ammo functioned great. We purposely followed up the steel with brass PMC in hot rifles to see if there would be a problem there...again no issues.

We also fired plenty of Silverbear steel case (zinc plated) which we really like, again no issues.

ALL this imported ammo ran extremely dirty in comparison to domestic new manufacture or surplus. We did notice some of the "red" sealant which is now around the primers only on the Wolf in the upper and lower receivers during our post shooting cleaning session.

We will use Wolf moving forward for range use and practice. I wouldn't hesitate to by 1K for plinking.

regards,
Steve

Dillinger 03-23-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnykc (Post 85381)
Its actually Lake City..its out side of Kansas city,mo

My bad - That is what I meant, but for some reason felt like typing Salt Lake. :eek:

JD