Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Bullet Stuck in AR Barrel!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bullet Stuck in AR Barrel!!!!!

HELP I badly need some reassurance. I was out shooting today everything was fine and it happened! I fired a round nothing, no report, so I eject the round thinking it was just a dud. The bullet fire but only 3/4 the way up the barrel. Ok here's the fun part I tired taping it out with a cleaning rod and it wouldn't budge. I'm taking it to a gun smith tomorrow morning I am afraid that the rifling will be messed up because of the stuck round and from the cleaning rod. Can anyone tell me from expirence if the rifling with be messed up or if its strong enough that it shouldn't be damaged?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2916 Times on 1717 Posts

The bullet won't damage it. The rod can. I usually use a wood dowel to avoid the problem.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1075 Times on 702 Posts
Likes Given: 608

it should be just fine. the smith will should be able to get it out no problem. im surprised you werent able to get it punched out but sometimes its better to be safe than sorry. i doubt there will be any damage to your rifling. good luck

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have had several primer only shots with A friends reloads in A FNFAL 308. I have A steel rod almost the same 308 dia. & with A good smack with A hammer have been able to knock the bullet back out the chamber. This is just me & I am not tell you to do this or that is is the right thing to do. This is just what I have done in the past.

He Who Expects Nothing Won't Be Deceived!!!

Old 01-23-2013, 01:16 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

The upside is the bullet is softer metal than your barrel, so it shouldn't damage the rifling. That is done like that on purpose. The downside is whatever you stick in it the barrel to get the bullet out may be harder, so relax, use a wooden dowel as suggested, or take it to the gunsmith and let the pros do what they do best. Patience preserves precious playthings.