BUIS drop test, Troy vs. Diamondhead vs. MBUS - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > BUIS drop test, Troy vs. Diamondhead vs. MBUS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I have magpul and troy sights and I like my magpul best. I think the magpul takes the blows better because they can fold back and pop back up where the other 2 are locked in the up position and cannot fold down upon a impact . This is one reason I don't care for my troys. And this is good news for people looking for a cheaper option. Remember more expensive isn't always better.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Doesn't Yankee Hill rank anymore? I have a set on one of my AR's and thought they were one of the better makers. Didn't even get a look for this test, though.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #13

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I may be way out in left field--but I'm a bit dubious about this test and it's conclusions--and BTW I have the magpul BUIS mounted on my SASS, so I'm not prejudiced.

This was based presumably on a drop test only--and it doesn't say whether or not the sights were repeatedly tested up and down.

Metal being more rigid than plastic in general--I wonder if the other sights didn't possibly transfer the impact forces to attachments and rails--they too should have been measured. Plastic has it's issues with heat. I would have like to see a milspec fixed ironsight setup tested as well just out of curiousity and base for comparison.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #14

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Well panther and fireguy, you can get your wish. 5' on concrete. Your rifle, your sights. Let us know how it goes!

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5745 Times on 3001 Posts
Likes Given: 380

reality check.

back up iron sights are typically mounted with an optic. the optic will protect the buis from most damage until the optic is broken or removed. if you then keep dropping your rifle you probably have more issues going on than a bent rear sight.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #16

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well panther and fireguy, you can get your wish. 5' on concrete. Your rifle, your sights. Let us know how it goes!
I can practice the French infantry drill with it.
Pee pants
Drop gun
Run

I'll need to devise a contro procedure to ensure it lands on the sight on concrete instead of a pile of poo if I mistakenly run the French infantry drill level II.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

People Like This 
Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #17

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts

Glad to hear this. I've been thinking about upgrading my MBUS to Troy. I'll spend the $120 elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #18

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10P8TRIOT View Post
Glad to hear this. I've been thinking about upgrading my MBUS to Troy. I'll spend the $120 elsewhere.
Personally, I would base my decision on what shoots best and most consistently at the greatest range of distances--not which is the better basketball. I don't have that info myself.

Old 07-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 222 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherBDC

Personally, I would base my decision on what shoots best and most consistently at the greatest range of distances--not which is the better basketball. I don't have that info myself.
What shoots best and most consistently at the greatest range of distances?... It all depends on how each individual shoots, breath control and etc. Sights are only tools and the person is the brain where the bullet is going to.
Just saying..

Old 07-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #20

Liked 1020 Times on 717 Posts
Likes Given: 1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherBDC View Post
I would say if anything this test proves the MBUS will hold zero as well as any BUIS. So it stands to reason it will do a fine job as a rear sight if needed.

I agree with Patriot, might as well get the MBUS and have the extra $100 for ammo and other things. The sight is gonna work. I have three and admit I had concerns about its toughness but this test eases my mind.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.