Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building my first AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building my first AR-15

My dad and I have been starting to build our first ar-15 and we just bought a stripped lower and a stock with a buffer tube. We are now looking into trigger mechanism but are having trouble finding one. Anything would be helpful. The caliber is a 5.56.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2013, 02:41 AM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Palmettostatearmory.com

Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #3

Liked 48 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Ill second that. I have all PSA stuff and my dad too. Cant get any better for the money. Really cant get better for more money sometimes

PSA 16" Mid upper
Palmetto State Defense Lower
Aimpoint Comp M2
Springfield XD 9 Sub
Winchester semi 12ga
Remington 870
Mosin Nagant 91/30
RIA 2011 VZ Grips 1911 .45 acp

My deviled egg farts

Old 03-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #4

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

since you don't have one I highly recommend a ALG QMS trigger ($45). It is a milspec fire control group (FCG), at the same if not a bit cheaper than you can get by buying a seperate milspec trigger.

If you want something a bit smoother look at a $20 upgrade to a ALG ACT trigger (I can personally reccomend it) or a Spike's battle trigger.

Just make sure that you get a hammer, trigger assembly, 2 pins, disconnecter, disconnecter spring, and the hammer and trigger springs. (8 pieces)

Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Do you need a complete lower parts kit?

I just notice you said you got a stripped lower.

They can be a bit hard to find right now.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalepra
My dad and I have been starting to build our first ar-15 and we just bought a stripped lower and a stock with a buffer tube. We are now looking into trigger mechanism but are having trouble finding one. Anything would be helpful. The caliber is a 5.56.
You will need a lower parts kit to complete the build to include not only the trigger group but the various other pins, springs and detents needed to hold all the other mechanical parts together. Daniel Defense, Spikes are good basic mil-spec kits but you will have to work at finding one in this market. Expect to pay $90 and up.

If you cannot find a kit you can try building your own. Brownells or Midway usually carry the individual parts, just get a good parts list and order what you need, also a good opportunity to get spare parts or to upgrade to a better trigger than what comes in most kits.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 03-18-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

You will need a lower parts kit to complete the build to include not only the trigger group but the various other pins, springs and detents needed to hold all the other mechanical parts together. Daniel Defense, Spikes are good basic mil-spec kits but you will have to work at finding one in this market. Expect to pay $90 and up.

If you cannot find a kit you can try building your own. Brownells or Midway usually carry the individual parts, just get a good parts list and order what you need, also a good opportunity to get spare parts or to upgrade to a better trigger than what comes in most kits.
I ordered kits from the CMMG website and they came in about 3wks.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Www.kevinsguns.com saw some cmmg lpk's there the other day. Not sure of price but you might check it out. I've never been on their website so you may end up needing to call them.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalepra
rogtac.com has the ALG QMS trigger ($45) in stock. I personally have been looking for the ALG ACT but can't find it in stock anywhere

Old 03-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #10

Liked 58 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ar View Post
Www.kevinsguns.com saw some cmmg lpk's there the other day. Not sure of price but you might check it out. I've never been on their website so you may end up needing to call them.
Just paid $85 for my CMMG lpk...