Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Building my first AR-15 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/building-my-first-ar-15-a-86808/)

jwalepra 03-18-2013 12:57 AM

Building my first AR-15

My dad and I have been starting to build our first ar-15 and we just bought a stripped lower and a stock with a buffer tube. We are now looking into trigger mechanism but are having trouble finding one. Anything would be helpful. The caliber is a 5.56.

e43jimmy409 03-18-2013 03:41 AM

Palmettostatearmory.com

Dahamp2003 03-18-2013 07:36 AM

Ill second that. I have all PSA stuff and my dad too. Cant get any better for the money. Really cant get better for more money sometimes

AgentTikki 03-18-2013 09:09 PM

since you don't have one I highly recommend a ALG QMS trigger ($45). It is a milspec fire control group (FCG), at the same if not a bit cheaper than you can get by buying a seperate milspec trigger.

If you want something a bit smoother look at a $20 upgrade to a ALG ACT trigger (I can personally reccomend it) or a Spike's battle trigger.

Just make sure that you get a hammer, trigger assembly, 2 pins, disconnecter, disconnecter spring, and the hammer and trigger springs. (8 pieces)

AgentTikki 03-18-2013 09:13 PM

Do you need a complete lower parts kit?

I just notice you said you got a stripped lower.

They can be a bit hard to find right now.

Jpyle 03-18-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalepra
My dad and I have been starting to build our first ar-15 and we just bought a stripped lower and a stock with a buffer tube. We are now looking into trigger mechanism but are having trouble finding one. Anything would be helpful. The caliber is a 5.56.

You will need a lower parts kit to complete the build to include not only the trigger group but the various other pins, springs and detents needed to hold all the other mechanical parts together. Daniel Defense, Spikes are good basic mil-spec kits but you will have to work at finding one in this market. Expect to pay $90 and up.

If you cannot find a kit you can try building your own. Brownells or Midway usually carry the individual parts, just get a good parts list and order what you need, also a good opportunity to get spare parts or to upgrade to a better trigger than what comes in most kits.

RustyMunkey 03-18-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

You will need a lower parts kit to complete the build to include not only the trigger group but the various other pins, springs and detents needed to hold all the other mechanical parts together. Daniel Defense, Spikes are good basic mil-spec kits but you will have to work at finding one in this market. Expect to pay $90 and up.

If you cannot find a kit you can try building your own. Brownells or Midway usually carry the individual parts, just get a good parts list and order what you need, also a good opportunity to get spare parts or to upgrade to a better trigger than what comes in most kits.

I ordered kits from the CMMG website and they came in about 3wks.

doc_ar 03-19-2013 12:28 AM

Www.kevinsguns.com saw some cmmg lpk's there the other day. Not sure of price but you might check it out. I've never been on their website so you may end up needing to call them.

LaiePoi 03-28-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwalepra

rogtac.com has the ALG QMS trigger ($45) in stock. I personally have been looking for the ALG ACT but can't find it in stock anywhere :(

Jake86 03-28-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doc_ar (Post 1181512)
Www.kevinsguns.com saw some cmmg lpk's there the other day. Not sure of price but you might check it out. I've never been on their website so you may end up needing to call them.

Just paid $85 for my CMMG lpk...