Building my first AR-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building my first AR-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

For the Bushmaster lower is the designated model the XM15-E2S for all of their 5.56/.22 lowers?

I probably will purchase the stripped lower in the next two weeks or so along with the parts for it.

So far I've looked at various uppers and I'm deciding between the Bushmaster 20 inch Dissipator upper and the Rock River Arms Standard A2 upper.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 09-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

When you say "a bit more" you need to take into consideration the amount of extras you get when purchasing a DD. Things like cold hammer forged barrels, proper gas port, proper testing, quality materials, and great assembly.

Find me another manufacturer that can beat a DD's quality for the $600 I can purchase a complete DD for.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #13

Liked 1005 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
You can get a DD upper for under $600 including handguard and BCG from smartgunner.com. Thats a cold hammer forged chrome lined barrel. Now those are made to order at the DD factory so sometimes they can take a few weeks. Mine took 5 or 6 weeks. But if you look at how long others are waiting for lesser quality products it's a great deal.

BCM uppers can be had for unedr $600 including handguard and BCG as well. Non hammer forged barrel.

That sucks about PSA. Do you have any links to these posts?
MJ and I independently took advantage of Smartgunner's DD sale late last year. Prices were amazing, lower than most of us had seen before. Those end of year sales started around November so you might want to keep your eye on SG in case they do it again. At the time it was roughly $100 less than a comparable BCM upper and much less than DD usually goes for. However, the current prices are pretty darn good and include free shipping. Of course that leads to OOS conditions unfortunately but it is worth the wait. My upper also took about 6 weeks to arrive and was shipped straight from the Daniel Defense factory.

ETA: below is a link to the stripped upper I got: (I believe at the time the sale price was $360 or so with free shipping.) I added a BCM Gunfighter charging handle and MOE handguards. Just by chance I already had a DD BCG that I was using in my ArmaLite upper so the ArmaLite BCG went back in and the DD got moved to the DD upper. (Guess someday I need to get another spare! )

http://www.smartgunner.com/DD-16-LW-M-STR-URG.aspx

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Last edited by Quentin; 09-15-2011 at 06:13 PM.