Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building my first...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building my first...

I had posted this erroneously on someone else build.

I have used all manner of weapons my entire adult life. While I miss the ability to fire full auto - now that it's my limited dollars, I won't miss it all that much.

My lower/upper receivers/BCG:
http://shop.si-defense.com/product_p/si%20ar-15%20lwr-al.htm
SI Defense AR-15 Billet A3 Upper Receiver, Stripped

Barrel: (although I'm a little concerned with the maker, but we'll see how she fires in the spring)
AR 15 Match H-Bar Rifle Barrel - 16"

No fixed front sight. I will be attaching folding sights, just not sure which manufacturer quite yet.

As this is a carbine length weapon, I stayed with the standard trigger from RRA. If I decide to build a different upper (possibly 6.5 or 6.8, or maybe just a 20" stainless barrel for range/match shooting), I'll be buying a much more expensive drop in 2 stage trigger. I hear good things about RRA's NMA 2-stage triggers as well as Timney's. Pricey that last one......

Handguards. The last M4 I carried had Vltor CASV-EL - partly because of the ability to mount an M203. I'm accustomed to the feel of these handguards, but am open to something comparable if you have any suggestion.

I frankly loved the Vltor Modstocks and will be going with one of them.

I'm not doing high risk entries anymore, so I may skip the Tango down foregrip..

I'm looking at a flash suppressor or compensator, but honestly, I've fired so many rounds down a barrel of either an M16 or M4, I don't think the rise is all that big a deal. Any thoughts on this and a preference?

I've already got a good cleaning kit from Otis. Ammo is another area where I could use some help (both for plinking and more serious shooting)

Optics - as this is a carbine, it would probably be smart to go with a red dot. I've been drooling on sights like Planet Optics now for about 2 months.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here