Building AR15 Brand Suggestions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building AR15 Brand Suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building AR15 Brand Suggestions?

I recently decided I was going to try and build an AR15 rather than buying one from a manufacturer. When I was previously looking to buy a complete riffle I was told good things about colt, BCM, daniel defense and a few other but I'm a little lost when it comes to individual pieces. I've just started researching but so far some brands I have checked out are DPMS, RRA, Doublestar, Spikes and others. I'm wondering which of these brands (or other brands) would be your value brand, which is the bang for the buck, and which is the cadillac? and any recommendations would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

Of the ones you have mentioned the Cadillacs of the group are Daniels Defense and Rock River. Followed closely by Spikes. But with that said Double Star makes a good reasonable priced lower receiver. I would not at all be afraid of building a rifle on one of their lowers. If you are going to build one I think you have the idea. Buy good parts! And from a reputable company. At least that way if anything is not right they will make them right by you! And unlikely you will have any parts issues to begin with!
Let us know if we can assist with your build. There are those of us here that are in the industry and also those that have a vast amount of experience and expertise with the AR Rifle System.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-10-2012, 12:49 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1255 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 528

Palmetto State Armory has decent prices on most parts, lower & upper receivers, barrels, lower parts kits, etc.

I purchased a stripped upper (did include the forward assist) and one of PSA's cold hammer forged mid length barrels as the basis of my upper build.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM   #4

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I went PSA for the lower and then the LPK, ordered a Bravo Company Upper with a 1:7 twist and Magpul BUIS. It really comes down to your budget. I would recommend, unless you're in a mechanical field, buying a completed upper and assembling the lower as a 'hello' to the AR world. Lowers aren't that finicky, and if you can put together a childrens toy, you can assemble one. The upper can be a bit trickier.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby
I went PSA for the lower and then the LPK, ordered a Bravo Company Upper with a 1:7 twist and Magpul BUIS. It really comes down to your budget. I would recommend, unless you're in a mechanical field, buying a completed upper and assembling the lower as a 'hello' to the AR world. Lowers aren't that finicky, and if you can put together a childrens toy, you can assemble one. The upper can be a bit trickier.
I'm about to do a similar build. I keep wanting to diff things" undecided" but i have decided on BCM 16" Carbine upper w/ a C4 rail and frnt sight... New Frontier Armory Lower, Troy folding Rear sight till I can afford a Nice Trijicon. Any suggestions on trigger group?

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I just recently built an ar. I went with a pof billet lower, Daniel defense upper, Adams arms piston kit, ar-stoner 18 inch 1-8 twist rate, timney 4 pound trigger, magpul buis. It's a sweet set up. Shot a 3 inch group at 200 yards with iron sights.

image-3924127936.jpg   image-1003312203.jpg   image-2300632963.jpg   image-1202668375.jpg   image-1659219080.jpg  

image-1159228633.jpg  

Old 04-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #7

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

It really depends on what you're wanting to do with it and how much you want to spend. I have the Palmetto State LPK, which has a nice crisp trigger, but you can get fancy with a Geiselle or such, which can run 250 and up, but have some stunning feels to them. I don't need competition quality, and the wife would have beat me to death with the barrel if I'd dropped that much on just the trigger, so I went cheaper.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-12-2012, 03:36 AM   #8

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Psssst don't feed the trolls. :P

Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was looking at the Geiselle trigger but the timney is just at good and not as expensive. Still not cheep tho.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I hear ya there. The wifey approved around 1500 for the build. I have to buy it piece by piece. Priced at just under 15 for the build I'm wanting to do.

Guns Don't kill people... Stupid people kill people with Guns!