Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building an AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 921 Times on 651 Posts
Likes Given: 897

As usual, please tell us what you plan to use the AR for and how much your budget is. I'll go along with PSA for a tight budget as for about the same price it will give you a better rifle than a bargain basement DPMS.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #12

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Thanks to everyone for responding, i appreciate the input. Primarily this is gonna be my SHTF rifle but it'll definitely get a good bit of range time so reliability is my biggest concern.
I'd like to keep the tab under $1000 and don't have any problem assembling my own lower and just buying a complete upper. Like i said i just don't know what brands are good, and which to stay away from.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:18 PM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies
Thanks to everyone for responding, i appreciate the input. Primarily this is gonna be my SHTF rifle but it'll definitely get a good bit of range time so reliability is my biggest concern.
I'd like to keep the tab under $1000 and don't have any problem assembling my own lower and just buying a complete upper. Like i said i just don't know what brands are good, and which to stay away from.
1k isn't necessarily a budget build. At that price I'd recommend BCM.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #14

lol my bad, my budget originally included some decent optics but i just stumbled onto an EOTech 552 for pretty much nothing and forgot to recalculate. I'll definitely check out BCM though, they seem to be very popular in this forum

Old 03-24-2012, 12:06 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies
lol my bad, my budget originally included some decent optics but i just stumbled onto an EOTech 552 for pretty much nothing and forgot to recalculate. I'll definitely check out BCM though, they seem to be very popular in this forum
Every forum really. One of the best in most aspects.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 03-24-2012, 12:28 AM   #16

That definitely seems to be the case. I checked out their website a little but couldn't find prices on anything. Would it be better, cost vs. quality wise, to buy a complete rifle or just an upper and assemble my own lower? Opinions on this subject seem to be pretty well split down the middle.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #17

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies View Post
That definitely seems to be the case. I checked out their website a little but couldn't find prices on anything. Would it be better, cost vs. quality wise, to buy a complete rifle or just an upper and assemble my own lower? Opinions on this subject seem to be pretty well split down the middle.
Building mine completely. I think a lot of it depends on your mechanical aptitude. The lower seems fairly basic, and I think the uppers...by the time people get ready to order it, they simply are so eager to shoot it makes more sense to just order the entire upper.
I like to tinker, and really don't have any fear of doing the work (as well as there being a snotload of youtube videos out there showing step by step instructions, and we always have Tikki and the other AR gods on here to question.)

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I think a lot of home builds have corners cut. Things like properly torquing castle nuts barrel nuts and staking get skipped more than you might think. These things take time and tools. I personally would rather let the pros do it for me but I have done it myself so the cool factor has worn off. Everyone should do it at least once.

That said I would get a pre- assembled upper and do what you want w/ the lower.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 AM   #19

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I think a lot of home builds have corners cut. Things like properly torquing castle nuts barrel nuts and staking get skipped more than you might think. These things take time and tools. I personally would rather let the pros do it for me but I have done it myself so the cool factor has worn off. Everyone should do it at least once.

That said I would get a pre- assembled upper and do what you want w/ the lower.
Good point. I have torque wrenches and an assembly of tools, being a former millwright. With this being my first, I feel I want to know it's nuts and bolts.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 03-24-2012, 02:48 AM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Then by all means Mr. Cool tools guy

-John Ruskin

Quote: