building ar-15 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > building ar-15

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default NO Chrome Lined Barrel !

Stay as far away as possible from Chrome Lined Barrels if you want the best accuracy the barrel is capable of !

Chrome Lined is for longer life in MACHINEGUN Barrel barrels.

There is NO WAY to get a uniform coating inside the barrel for dimensional accuracy and concentricity.

Free Float the barrel in an aluminum free float tube for both ideal performance and cooling. Stay away from accessory rails unless you really intend to use them. They do throw off front end harmonics. Attach sling and/or bipod to free float tube NOT the barrel.

RRA trigger upgrade it reasonable and makes a great difference....or spend a few dollars more and put in a Jewell 2 stage..THE Best on the market..trigger adjustable in predictable/reliable 1/4 pound incriments.

Good Luck !

Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 AM   #12

hm... THIS PLACE IS SWEET U GUYS ACTUALLY HELP!!!NEAT!

Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 AM   #13

this might be a bad question but is there anyway to get a bolt action ar-15 for the same price as a semi if not ill take the gas chamber out and it'll be bout same thing.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:12 AM   #14

waoh jeep creep so this http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=KV2414&storeid=1&image=v2414k.gif comes with everything but the lower which i can buy then assemble the lower parts kit that comes with the upper and have every thing all built cept accesorys?and does this come with a two staged trigger?

Last edited by daltotuck; 01-03-2008 at 03:33 AM.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Stay as far away as possible from Chrome Lined Barrels if you want the best accuracy the barrel is capable of !

Chrome Lined is for longer life in MACHINEGUN Barrel barrels.

There is NO WAY to get a uniform coating inside the barrel for dimensional accuracy and concentricity.
Dgunsmith is correct. Stainless steel is probably the way to go for accurate long-range use. Chrome lined will give the longer life (and it's a little easier to clean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Free Float the barrel in an aluminum free float tube for both ideal performance and cooling.
Yes!

Old 01-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #16

Yes. The kit is comletely, uh, complete. All you need is the lower only. All small parts are included. The upper is already assembled (barrel mounted, dust cover, forward assist etc. are all assembled) as is the bolt carrier and bolt. All you need to do is assemble the fire control group, takedown and pivot pins, buffer tube and stock. Since the barrel is already torqued, all you should need for "specialized tools" is a decent set of punches. It comes with a standard mil spec trigger, in both weight and pull. I figure for this price though, you can spring for a Jard or other higher end trigger, and maybe add a little more $$$ in your search for glass. I am planning one in .204 after I recover from Christmas. So theoretically, if you assemble it yourself, you can get out out from under the rifle, without accessories, for about $700 or less. And I agree with part of the above. Avoid the chrome lining for accuracy. Standard chromoly steel does get the better of stainless steel for ABSOLUTE accuracy, but it is a VERY minimal difference. I prefer stainless just because it's easy to maintain. Good luck.

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 01-03-2008 at 03:48 PM.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 AM   #17

sweet one more question if i get a two staged trigger and a tactical grip(not sure what there called they have the big rubber thing on the bottom) will i be able to put um on there?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM   #18
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If they're made for the AR platform, there's no good reason why not.

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #19

Default Wylde chamber

I've done a good deal of research on the Wylde chamber. From what I have read, it's actually the best available choice for both the 223 and the 5.56 as it is relieved in the chamber walls to ease extraction, it is capable of the higher pressures of the 5.56 and is actually more accurate in both calibers. The leade (sp?) of the tip of the projectile (bullet) is engaged with the rifling of the Wylde with both calibers so there is no "jump space" before engagement with the rifling. This enhances accuracy and reduces harmonic influences along the length of the barrel. I highly recommend the Wylde chambering with my 2nd choice being the 5.56 NATO. These will safely shoot both calibers, where a .223 chamber will not be as safe using the NATO round.

Just my 4 cents worth (inflation).