Building
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Building

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Building

I am intrested in putting to getter an ad 15 gun is 223 the only caliber?
Also I was wondering about buying a kit ie all the parts to put it together? Mary lower receiver and it's parts and same for upper receiver
Also any tools I need to have to assembly it any company I should stay away from in getting parts?
Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
Also I was wondering about buying a kit ie all the parts to put it together? Mary lower receiver and it's parts and same for upper receiver
Also any tools I need to have to assembly it any company I should stay away from in getting parts?
Thanks
You can assemble AR 15's in a variety of calibers, .223 / 5.56, 6.8 spc, .458 socom, .450 Bushmaster, .50 Beowulf. There is also a 6.5 (can't keep Creedmore & Grindel straight). Starting to see some in 7.62 x 39, e.g. Olympic and Armalite. Also can get AR 15 uppers in pistol calibers, 9mm, .40, 10 mm and .45. I have a .45 acp upper, it is a hoot to shoot.

You can get a decent basic kit from Palmetto State Armory. The lower is the only part requiring an FFL. The lower has the serial number.

Brownells sells a kit for about $99.00 that has most of the special tools you would need to assemble an AR. I have assembled three lowers and swapped a standard handguard for a free-float.

There are dozens of sources, just shop around.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #3

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

No its not, you can get them in just about any caliber. .22lr, 9 mm, 45 cal, 5.56mm (.223 cal). Really it just depends on what you want your ar to do. .223 is the most common because its what the platform was originally designed for and it works for most law enforcement, hunting and personal defense applications. The ammo is also somewhat cheap.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-06-2011, 02:08 AM   #4

Ok what would I look up to find the tool kit
How does the lower receiver thing work with ffl ?
I see a lot of online places selling them?
Any kits complete ie parts package

Old 12-06-2011, 02:14 AM   #5

Liked 1069 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 1073

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbirdguy View Post
Thanks
C'mon, you can do better! A more carefully crafted post will draw more replies and more specific answers. I have to say when I see questions poorly cobbled together like this my first thought is why waste my time - and I bet many others feel the same way. Don't make us do your thinking for you, you'll end up with a much better rifle if you put in more effort and that begins with some attention to what you write.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1262 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 534

Ok what would I look up to find the tool kit

AR-15/M16 CRITICAL TOOLS KIT - Brownells

How does the lower receiver thing work with ffl ?

First ask your local gun shop if they sell lowers, I always try to support the local guys. If you elect to purchase a lower (stripped or assembled) from a catolog or on line source, it will need to be shipped to an FFL holder. The FFL holder will charge a fee for their service, generally $25 to $50. Generally speakng, if you can get a lower from you LGS for $120 to $130, it is close to a push compared to buying on line and paying for the lower + shipping + FFL fee.

I see a lot of online places selling them?

Any kits complete ie parts package

Generally speaking the lower is not part of the kit due to the FFL requirement. Another source of kits is DelTon, but I have no first hand experience with them.