Build your perfect ar under 1500 - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build your perfect ar under 1500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

I would start with an SP1 buttstock and handguards. An M16A2 LSW upper. That would probably be the most expensive part as there are so few made that I would have to have it custom made. An Armalite lower and 20" barrel. RRA lpk. Fail zero BCG. The rest from J-T. I know it sounds kinda goofy setup, but it's my goofy setup. And yes, I probably did go over budget a tad.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
>.< don't stomp on my dreams....remember I live in Cali..... all I can do is dream.......T_T

(SBRs and Suppressors are out, except for LEO, Military, FFLs, and Movie Stars)
I forgot you were in CA. Sucks for you.

My dream was that you did have some inside track to some awesome deals. I was hoping to ride your coat tails

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #23

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I forgot you were in CA. Sucks for you...
Go East secret agent man! To the land of Saguaros and real guns.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You might want to check around for a used gun. I've seen previously owned guns that look factory new. As long as someone didn't shoot out the barrel and everything locks up tight, you might find a deal. Ideally, get one from a shop that has a range where you can try it out, field strip and look over the bcg and visible internals. There's always a risk factor is you don't know what you're looking at but.... Plenty of gems out there if you look hard enough. Biggest problem really is the platform is so popular you won't save as much as say a used Sks or something equally prevalent on the used rack. Just a thought.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belltactical View Post
You might want to check around for a used gun. I've seen previously owned guns that look factory new. As long as someone didn't shoot out the barrel and everything locks up tight, you might find a deal. Ideally, get one from a shop that has a range where you can try it out, field strip and look over the bcg and visible internals. There's always a risk factor is you don't know what you're looking at but.... Plenty of gems out there if you look hard enough. Biggest problem really is the platform is so popular you won't save as much as say a used Sks or something equally prevalent on the used rack. Just a thought.
This might be the way to go for a bargain AR but I'd be afraid of what parts are in something used or even many brand names off the new rack. Pretty hard to find a "perfect AR" this way but it's true you never know what you might find.

I've bought many used handguns and rifles but would shy away from a used AR unless I knew for sure what it was. Nothing wrong with used parts though to add to your perfect build.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quentin is right - its a risk if you don't know what you're looking for. I've picked up plenty of used ar's and usually can tell pretty accurately what's wrong and what's right. Shops seem to have 2 schools of thought. Some just take them in, put them on the rack and move them out the door. If I take Ina. Gun, it gets torn down, parts that need replacing get replaced and test fired for function and accuracy. I also put a 90 day guarantee on anything used so customer comfort level is high. It pays to look around. Maybe someone on the forum knows a reliable dealer where you live, consider posting the question. Had an AR come through once that the seller just hated because it wouldn't cycle and kept jamming up. Turned out there was only 1 gas ring on the bolt and it was mangled as well. Quick cheap fix and it was a great shooter after that. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 PM   #27

I wish there were more shops like yours, Belltactical! Some people do figure it out after bad experiences at the other guys, and if smart they will keep coming back to the good shops. The good word spreads too.

______

Old 01-31-2012, 12:23 AM   #28

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Go East secret agent man! To the land of Saguaros and real guns.
Just not too far east...you'll wind up in another liberal hellhole like NYC or NJ.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington