You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

Build your own AR guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

SO....

What happened to this 'Build Em' thread?

Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i think it got abandoned. im looking into buying a guide on building my ar. im personally in no rush to get it built. i would like to build it myself this summer, but if it takes until winter im fine with that. an ar15 is a gun ive wanted for a while, but its also my dream gun. if i can build one myself that works great, i could care less how long it takes me. just my opinion,

Old 05-31-2008, 05:28 PM   #23

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3504 Times on 1614 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First I have seen of this thread, but it appears to have "died on the vine" - I have built several, and stripped many more for cleaning and repair purposes.

Is there still interest in this thread?

If so, I can probably assume the co-lead and strip one down, take a few pictures and do a write up for the forum.

Let me know -

JD

Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #24

Default happy to find this thread

i am looking to build an ar15 soon and i dont know what brands are best to get or does it matter? also i heard that there is a difference between the Natto 5.6 millimeter and the .223 cal is that correct. and if so hoe do i build a gut to shoot both? i need help and i am open to any suggestions. im generally a bolt gun guy and this is out of my realm.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloader89 View Post
i am looking to build an ar15 soon and i dont know what brands are best to get or does it matter? also i heard that there is a difference between the Natto 5.6 millimeter and the .223 cal is that correct. and if so hoe do i build a gut to shoot both? i need help and i am open to any suggestions. im generally a bolt gun guy and this is out of my realm.
PM Sent - Check your mail and hit me back about the questions asked. I would be happy to assist.

JD

Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #26

Okay, I have decided to undertake the challenge of doing a full scale write up on how to LEGALLY build an AR platform from the ground up. I have enlisted, again, the help of my Master 'Smith Brett Evans from NW Armswerkes and will be getting with him towards the end of the week to start the project.

Is there anything SPECIFIC that anyone would like to see or have addressed?

Speak now, or you get what I put together.

Please note: If you are going ask me to show you how to convert a semi auto to full auto, or identify the parts you need to make your semi into a conversion after the fact, save your time and effort, I will not be giving out any of that information. This piece will be instruction on how to legally acquire a stripped upper and lower, along with all the parts necessary to safely assemble a working semi-automatic rifle.

JD

Old 06-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #27

Great! Absolutely no responses as to whether or not you guys want anything specific covered in this build report. Great input for the better of the forum guys....

In any event, I spent about 3 hours in the shop today and stripped my lower receiver and went part by part, all with pictures, of how to build a working AR lower. It will take a couple of days to do the write up and edit the pictures, then I will post, hopefully, the first part of next week.

In case you are wondering, the lower is the most important piece given the timeframe of the election as that is the only piece that will require a background check and approval for you to purchase.

Those interested might want to get a lower receiver on the books before any new "Assault Weapon Bans" are proposed if there would be a change in direction from Right to Left....

JD

Last edited by Dillinger; 06-06-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #28

I just purchased a stag lower and will probably just hang on to it until winter. I would build it sooner but I've got some budget issues (trying to buy a house and pay some LARGE medical bills) so it will have to wait a months so I can refill my play money account.

My questions or areas of interest would how to build the upper to shoot 7.62. Also, would this be a good idea or not?

Questions about 5.56 versus 7.62:

I have always heard that the AK is inacurate. Is this due to the rifle or the 7.62 itself?

What kind of problems would I have using 7.62 in the AR15?

Sorry for the newb questions but I am still new to this. I am originally from Indiana so I am real familiar with shutguns and not rifles.

Old 06-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike481 View Post
I just purchased a stag lower
Great idea. Stag makes a good product and now that you have it on the books, you will be grandfathered in should anything change...

Quote:
My questions or areas of interest would how to build the upper to shoot 7.62. Also, would this be a good idea or not?

Questions about 5.56 versus 7.62:

I have always heard that the AK is inacurate. Is this due to the rifle or the 7.62 itself?

What kind of problems would I have using 7.62 in the AR15?
This is going to stir up the ****... LOL

The AK is a fine piece of engineering, but it runs from an Op-Rod platform, which leads to harmonics that don't make it as accurate, out of the box, as a comparably equipped AR, even if they shot the same round. The AK can be made to be more accurate, but then you are making changes to the rifle and adding cost, which is one of the things about the AK in the first place, it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg to get one and it will run in almost any climate.

The 7.62 round fired by the AK is 7.62 x 39mm. I believe the 7.62 round you are talking about building your platform for is the more traditional US/Nato version the 7.62 x 51mm / .308 Kinda the same, but really, completely different.

What problems would you encounter with a 7.62mm version of an AR? It's going to be heavier and it's going to kick a lot harder. Other than that, if it's built properly and you use quality parts, you only need to worry about the price of ammo.

JD

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM   #30

For the benefit of future viewers to this thread. The "build your own lower" guide has been completed and is located in the Knowledge Base. This is a complete step by step guide, with pictures. You do have to be a member of the site, either through financial support of $12 or through contributing articles/write ups, to access it - but the guide is done and available to all that are interested.

JD