Build you own gas piston AR - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Build you own gas piston AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
what about the primers being corrosive? IIRC, the powder could be non-corrosive but still have corrosive primers.

and even if it had corrosive powder or primers, doesn't hot water neutralize it?
the only surplus corrosive stuff is 7.62x54r.

all the wolf and tula 556 use wolf primers which are non corrosive. wolf makes primers for all the russkie stuff. i use their primers the most since they are cheap and often available.

black powder is corrosive as its made with salts. modern powders dont use salts so smokeless powder is non corrosive. what is corrosive, or was, was the fulminate of mercury based primers which are no longer used. the ussr switched to non corrosive primers a while back. what we are getting in the form of surplus is all their old stock of 7.62x54r that come in the big spam cans.

one way of removing priming salts is hot soapy water.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #32
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

all the wolf and tula 556 use wolf primers which are non corrosive. wolf makes primers for all the russkie stuff. i use their primers the most since they are cheap and often available.

black powder is corrosive as its made with salts. modern powders dont use salts so smokeless powder is non corrosive. what is corrosive, or was, was the fulminate of mercury based primers which are no longer used. the ussr switched to non corrosive primers a while back. what we are getting in the form of surplus is all their old stock of 7.62x54r that come in the big spam cans.

thank you for the clarification. i wasn't as sure about the primers.

what about surplus 30-06 ammo being corrosive? some of that ammo can go back quite a few years.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5662 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Quote:
thank you for the clarification. i wasn't as sure about the primers.

what about surplus 30-06 ammo being corrosive? some of that ammo can go back quite a few years.
i was referring to steel cased soviet ammo since that was the question.

yes quite a bit of old surplus 30-06 in brass case is out there. practically all of it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #34

Liked 2190 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
what about the primers being corrosive? IIRC, the powder could be non-corrosive but still have corrosive primers.

and even if it had corrosive powder or primers, doesn't hot water neutralize it?
The commercially loaded stuff uses non-corrosive primers. Even a lot of the newer mil stuff is fully non-corrosive now. Some of the steel case uses Boxer primers, and some still uses Berdan primers, but most folks have gone the non-corrosive route even with the Berdans, at least in the commercial stuff.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:30 PM   #35

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

There are still a lot of crappy AR's out there that are picky eaters when it comes to ammo. I still hear someone crying that their AR won't cycle steel case ammo, and I just keep shooting it. I suspect often it is because they have .223 barrels even though the markings say 5.56. Then they say it is because I have a piston, and they don't, but they look for another excuse when I pull out my DI gun and still shoot it.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-08-2013, 02:35 PM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsted2a View Post
There are still a lot of crappy AR's out there that are picky eaters when it comes to ammo. I still hear someone crying that their AR won't cycle steel case ammo, and I just keep shooting it. I suspect often it is because they have .223 barrels even though the markings say 5.56. Then they say it is because I have a piston, and they don't, but they look for another excuse when I pull out my DI gun and still shoot it.
IMO, i don't think the AR's are any different than other firearms. some are just picky about ammo. i shoot a lot of Federal and PMC ammo in my AR and have never had a problem. i have never shot any steel cased ammo in mine, simply because it's just readily available where i live. i'd like to try some out to see just how it does perform with it though.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #37

Liked 221 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 294

Quote:
IMO, i don't think the AR's are any different than other firearms. some are just picky about ammo. i shoot a lot of Federal and PMC ammo in my AR and have never had a problem. i have never shot any steel cased ammo in mine, simply because it's just readily available where i live. i'd like to try some out to see just how it does perform with it though.
Some of the cheaper AR's will come with a disclaimer that says they will void the warranty if you shoot steel case, import, reloads, or hand load ammo.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin